The Joy of Being Home Alone

by Lian on February 17, 2010

You're cute.. but don't come home until Friday.

You're cute.. but don't come home until Friday.

Dear Husband…

Sorry, honey, but I am glad you headed to Fresno today to testify at that trial. I love you… but I love when you travel on business, too. It’s not like you’re gone a lot, just a couple times a year, which is why your departures are always so special. I look forward to your absence… and then your homecoming. So while your enjoying your king size hotel bed and that breakfast buffet, I’ll be here with the boys indulging in a few treats myself:

Cottage cheese for Dinner! Fine with me. I’ll rustle up something for the children, but I can put aside my efforts for a well-balanced, pleasing -to -the -eye -and- palate dinner in favor of cottage cheese, salsa, and whole grain crackers. Oh,  like my single girl days. I might even eat  on the couch after 8 PM because you won’t be sitting in Your Spot. I will– with a glass of red wine or herbal tea.

TV My Way! Could there be a better time to have solo control of the remote control than with the Olympics on? Imagine the pleasure of watching the Men’s Figure Skating Finals without your commentary! Or hearing you snipe, “That’s not a sport!” anytime an event features a judge or costuming. Just me and Bob Costas– the way Olympic TV viewing was meant to be.

Reading Until All hours! If I have any energy left after short track skating, I may read until I am tired. How novel!  Instead of reading until I feel guilty that the light is on and you are trying to sleep so I stop. Tonight– maybe an all-nighter with my new library books.

Putting on my Pajamas at 6PM! There’s no need to bother freshening up at the end of the day, is there? Those Cozy Clothes are going on as soon as the sun sets. Maybe I’ll even wear cold cream to bed, like Lucy Ricardo.

Word hard. Drive Safely. And do come home… but not until Friday!

Related posts:

Not an Alpha Wife? There are  other ways to alpha up your life. Read Lian’s Oprah column here.

Lian’s Olympic Observations on the Satellite Sister blog are here every day of the Games.

Karen February 25, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Lian,
My husband’s traveling and I was just watching the Olympics – women’s figure skating – in bed, with my pjs on. And, then, the dear man called to say “Good Night” and “I love you”. So sweet, but it was right as Kim, Mao, and Joannie were skating…………. Well, now, that the skating is over and I thought I’d check in on Lian and the Chaos Chronicles. I had to laugh to see this essay and the comments. While my husband’s away this week and I’m also enjoying my little pleasures – up late on the computer, eating when and what I want, and having the light on to read late into the night (a common theme). And, interestingly, my husband’s in Pasadena! I told him to keep an eye out for you – but don’t think that’s likely, as you’re probably curled up in bed with a good book and cold cream slathered on your face!
Let’s both enjoy the time before the guys return on Friday and then, have a wonderful weekend with them.
Karen

Danette February 23, 2010 at 5:59 PM

I am mirroring your thoughts….tonight I am at home enjoying one of the few nights home alone while hubby is travelling. Ditto to staying up with the lights on a good book.

Lian February 23, 2010 at 12:24 PM

t3zoo… Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! 2010 is our year…. thank you for sharing this. I could not be happier. I think positivity– if that’s a word!– does spread. And, remember what my mother always said, “you make your own good luck.”

sounds like you did. Lian

t3zoo February 21, 2010 at 3:00 PM

I wanted to share with Lian and the Crew that I think Lian’s good karma is spreading! Remember a couple of weeks ago, Lian mentioned that a bunch of good things seemed to happen at once, the Oprah column, the Tv audition? I was so excited for Lian and then a couple of days later a friend of mine called me about a job she had heard of. Long story short, I got the job! this was a much needed boost for me and family after a challenging year or so. It really has given me a positive feeling,so I’m hoping more is coming. But I just had to share with the crew, because of the coincidence. Thanks Lian!!

Alyssa G. February 20, 2010 at 12:33 PM

I love having the house all to myself! My husband works swing shifts and I have to admit it – I like it when he’s on evenings. Me and the girls have our own routine and can do pretty much whatever we want without him there. Enjoy your husband free time. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. . . . .

Amy D February 19, 2010 at 6:19 PM

No one mentioned “sleeping in the middle of the bed with ALL the pillows.”

S. Carlson February 19, 2010 at 12:28 PM

OMG-LOL! Every reason was spot on, but especially reading until you want to go to sleep instead of when you feel guilty the light is on! THAT got me!

kbradcliffe February 19, 2010 at 4:03 AM

I love this post! I realized yesterday how much I didn’t want to think about cooking for anyone and desperately wanted Cheerios for dinner. I rarely am the one that travels, instead being left to care for the kiddos. And while I treasure being able to do that, I look forward to when they are older (four and seven now) and can be happy with cereal for dinner too!

Jill February 18, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Tuesday nights my husband teaches a seminary class downtown and my girl’s and have been relishing in or girls night to Waffle House. It’s a guilty pleasure but we have enjoyed breakfast for dinner and listening to the jutebox. So skip the cottage cheese and go for something a liitle more sinful. Happy Birthday and I love the new site!

Alyssa G. February 18, 2010 at 5:21 PM

I am sorry to say (again) that I don’t see the podcast on ITunes. Maybe it’ll be up later tonight! Happy Birthday!

Luanne T February 18, 2010 at 11:57 AM

This week while my husband and son spend five days bonding at the state high school wrestling tournament, my daughter and I get to relish in four days of girl time.

I am the business traveler in our family and other than the rare fishing trip, I am rarely home without him. I find myself genuinely excited to not worry about a “good” meal and schedule of things to do.

Rather, my 16 year old daughter and I can have cereal for supper and curl up on the couch watching the Olympics, and maybe a reality show marathon. . . And maybe mani/pedis on Saturday? Yes, we will welcome them home on Sunday, but I will definitely relish the time without them. (even home alone for lunch today seemed like a treat!)

Christine P February 18, 2010 at 9:01 AM

I salute the Travelling Husband! (only if he is gone for 2-3 days)
My daughter and I can watch our I Love Lucy episodes while eating dinner in our pj’s and YES, guilt free reading in bed-LOVES IT!!! It’s good for a few days and then I start to think things like…, ‘wow, the garbage/recycling is really piling up; what is that noise coming from the washing machine; I have to walk the dogs ALONE AGAIN…’ and I start to miss him :) lol!

Cyndi February 18, 2010 at 6:34 AM

I miss my cottage cheese dinners! My husband used to travel frequently for business, then that slowed down a little and now he’s working at home. Needless to say, my cottage cheese dinners are OVER and I haven’t recovered … !

I think it is healthy to spend a few days apart from one another – a break in the routine can really boost your energy and allows everyone to regroup. I thought of the old joke where one person asks his friend for the secret to his long happy marriage – the man replied “For our 25th wedding anniversary, I took my wife to Italy. For our 50th, I’m going to back and get her.” Okay, a little corny, but you get the idea!

Relish those moments until Friday – I’m envious!