To Do List and Chaos Chronicles 222

by Lian on February 26, 2010

Oh, Crew… I am wiped out by the late night of skating and an early morning meeting. Okay, 8 am is not that early– but I did have to  put on pants with waistband which is an effort for me. Finally, back at it here at CCHQ.

On the To Do List for the weekend:

Taxes Ugh. Gotta be done. And gotta be done by me by Monday.

Wrap up my Olympic Coverage and Viewing There is always a  bit of let down as the Games end and life goes back to normal Chez Moi. I am looking forward to hockey and praying the Canadians do not  include kilt-wearing folk dancers in the Closing Ceremonies. My husband, who has taken his dinner upstairs to watch alternative programming this week, will be grateful for the end of the Olympics, though. Thanks goodness, we have Idol to fill the void.

HIgh fashion clogs. About 4 inches too high fashion for me.

HIgh fashion clogs. About 4 inches too high fashion for me.

Investigate the hottest fashion trend of Spring: The Clog

Ah, more my style. Clogs make me happy.

Ah, more my style. Clogs make me happy.

I knew, I knew, if I just kept rockin’ the clog that eventually the fashion pendulum would swing back my way.  It’s been 25 years but guess what, Chaos Crew, the Clog is Back! According to the Los Angeles Times,  clogs are back with a vengeance, from Chanel to Ugg. Take that, all you Ballet Flat Wearers. Scandinavia rules!

On the Chaos Chronicles Podcast this week:

The Chaos Chronicles: I’m 45 and my face is falling and my mouth is running! Make it all stop!

Helicopter Parenting: A near miss last weekend reminded me to follow my own advice! Check out Help, I’m Hovering at Oprah.com.

Alpha Wives: You go, girls. Just remember, you are forerunners– and that ain’t easy. Here are some of the books and articles I mention in the podcast:

For Richer or Poorer by Ginny Graves and Harriet Pappenheim Great resource, lots of data pertinent to this topic.

New York Times Room for Debate blog: Women Redefining Marriage

New York Times Room for Debate blog: Alpha Wives: the Trend and the Truth

Alpha Wives, Alpha Moms, What’s Next?

Plus, an assignment for the Chaos Crew. I am putting together a document about readers/listeners of The Chaos Chronicles for a CC-related project. If you have time, send an e-mail or post a comment with a short biographical sketch. two or three lines about your who, what, when, how. Don’t worry– it won’t be sold, auctioned or used in any weird or creepy way! Thanks.

Lisa March 3, 2010 at 10:34 AM

I wore clogs all of the time for years but haven’t worn what I would say are true clogs for years…although if I can’t slip them on, they probably aren’t in my shoe collection! I’m so glad they’re coming back.

I’m a 49yo mother of three, live in a mid-sized city (in Nebraska), and work ft in insurance. Spending time with my family is my fav thing to do, but I also love to read, blog, do crafts and cook.

MaryCatherine March 1, 2010 at 7:18 PM

So funny to be reminded of my clog wearing days in college. I slipped on a dance floor in my clogs and broke my toe a week before graduation. I was sure I would have to get my diploma with crutches. I still wear them today!

Lynn March 1, 2010 at 9:38 AM

I am not a clog person – just do not feel comfortable in them. I am afraid I will lose one.

My blurb:

42 yr old, mother of 3 from Marion Ohio. Boys 8 & 7 and Girl 6. I work part-time at The Ohio State University (debating going full-time). I listen to your podcast while folding laundry on Saturdays.

Glad I found you via iPod Store recommended podcast based on another podcast I subscribe to.

Nicole February 28, 2010 at 8:34 PM

My blurb:

37y.o. married, mother of two from Annapolis, MD. 9y.o. boy and 6y.o. girl. I work full time (50+ hours/week) as a computer analyst at my local hospital. (Recently won Funniest In Your Pod award). I listen to your podcast while grocery shopping alone. On top of it all, last year I made the Top 10 for most volunteer hours at kid’s school. Yes, I could lead the Chaos Crew! Love your insights.

Kathie February 28, 2010 at 8:17 PM

I, too, had to get my portion of the taxes finished by the end of February. Yes, that was today and I was working away on them instead of golfing……I wore clogs when I was a kid in the 70′s, and my younger sister wears a pair of black patent leather clogs now, but I don’t think I’ll be buying any…..

Debbie in Bethesda February 28, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I LOVED your story about Colin’s paper — very similar to my discussions with my 11-year old daughter. So much so, I had her listen to it so it will hopefully be a lesson for her for the future. She hates writing so doing a 3-4 page paper when she could have done a 3/4 page paper will be something she remembers next time instructions at school are give! :)

Lian February 28, 2010 at 8:40 AM

It’s official– clogs are the tie that binds! Yes, Danskos are the best for traditional, PF-preventing, walk the dog in the morning fun.

But, I love my fuzzy ugg clogs ( or cluggs, as we call them at my house) for the morning carpool.

I am sorry to hear about the effects of gravity on all of you– but maybe that’s why we need mental levity!

have a great sunday. Off to mass , the the hockey game– then some work and then my husband goes back to Fresno, so I’ll be able to watch the closing ceremonies in peace!

Mari (Bookworm with a View) February 28, 2010 at 8:32 AM

Another clog lover here! In fact I’m wearing them right now with my lounge wear on a Sunday morning (they just make my tired/sore feet feel good). The pair I have on right now can not be worn out of the house but might be the best quality shoe I own.

I just watched the orange county desperate housewife show with a girlfriend, did you see it? when a 31 year old is talking about all the plastics done… she’s in for a rude awakening! I will be embracing my age – and my husband agrees (thank god).

AmyP February 28, 2010 at 6:13 AM

Danskos are the best and yes, you can walk the dog in them. I do everything in them!!!
I’m almost 40 and I must admit, I’m laughing so hard about your thoughts on 45. And, by the way, I have NOT heard any fabulous phases for turning 40…I’ll keep my ears tuned in for those.

Christine P February 27, 2010 at 8:15 PM

I must know, is Kathy going to walk the dog in clogs? That would be so very impressive. I would love to rock the clog but when I buy shoes, they always fall into one of two categories,
1) “will I be able to walk the dogs in these puppies” or
2) “I think I may be able to tolerate (albeit painstakingly) these sexy 5 inchers for a few hours to look good for Mr. P”. I will admit, I have had more than a few grandiose-type shoe purchases in the past that have ended up with the lovely shoes being passed on with the tag intact-lol

Christine February 27, 2010 at 3:29 PM

hi Lian,
I have never NOT had clogs of some sort..Naot is a great company for clogs, as is Finn Comfort and Dansko..I also have a first pair of actually comfortable ballet flats ..Paul Mayer Attitudes.. love them, but not for long walks.
I haved saved the podcast to enjoy later …I have a feeling I will be laughing too. Gravity and falling faces is something with which we all have compassion…and fear and laughs…
An old friend always says it will never look as young as it does right now!! small comfort.

zephyr February 27, 2010 at 9:27 AM

count me in. by the way Lian, the Dansko ones help relieve my PF a lot.

Kathy February 26, 2010 at 9:45 PM

Lian, Lian! Love, love, love the clogs. Hat, hate, hate ballet flats. I am saving the podcast for tomorrow while I walk my dog.

P.S. My mouth runs too. I look like my Italian aunts did when I was I teenager.

Lian February 26, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Who knew there were so many clog wearers amongst the Crew? Maybe, it’s our tie that binds…

Cyndi February 26, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I love clogs! I like Clarks ’cause they are comfy!

I am older than 45 so I would LOVE to be that age! I’ve always felt 5-10 years younger than my real age so I always suffer a minor shock when I have to write it down on a form or something. When I turned 50 recently, I decided I could either live my life as an older young person or a really young older person – it’s much easier to live with the effects of gravity, and other lovely things with that mindset.

Stay healthy and keep up with those classes at the gym! I love exercising with energetic people – that will keep you young!

Allison February 26, 2010 at 2:35 PM

I laughed out loud hearing your story about Colin and his last-minute paper. I, too, have a 12-year-old son, and “last minute” has become the theme of his school year, despite our best efforts. It’s giving me a real chance to practice my un-helicoptering. Better they learn these lessons in sixth grade than high school (or later), right?

carolabo February 26, 2010 at 1:19 PM

Fyi- A true helicopter parent would have already known that your 12 year old son had 3/4 of a page paper summary due on Monday. It would not have been a surprise to learn about the page for the first time on Sunday.

Agree totally with what you said about gravity and 45…plus the need for a flashlight in any restaurant other than a diner to read the menu.

Cheers,
Clog-wearing CarolAbo

Kristin February 26, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Hooray for the clogs! I am so glad they are going to be “in” because when I wear them now ( I too love Dansko), I just don’t see many others doing the same.

At my age ( a bit younger than you, Lian), I am finding things start to droop and take a beating. My eyes (getting closer to bifocals), the breasts (no matter how much lifting and pushups I do) are pointing further south and it is harder to recover. That being said, I’ll embrace my new runner status and do my best to not hate on those who don’t have to work as hard. Loved the comment about the squishy parts that some women just don’t have after kiddos. I’ll work not to be bitter and take your lead on avoiding comment.

Thanks for a fabulous accompaniment to my run in the cold today!

Susan February 26, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Hi Lian-

I wear clogs everyday… Dansko, closed back clogs, patent leather black, brown and plain black – love them!!! I, too have worn clogs since I was very young – I could do cartwheels in them back then!