The Chaos Crew…. Who We Are!

by Lian on March 1, 2010

Thanks to those of you who did you homework assignment this weekend and sent in two to three lines ( not PAGES, as I apparently misspoke) about yourselves. Wonderful reading for me over the weekend. I am accumulating some informal data  for a Chaos Chronicles-related project.  I thought I’d share some of the preliminary findings with all of you…

Who is The Chaos Crew?

We are married, singles,  and divorced.

We have no kids, some kids, nieces and nephews, and fur kids.

One of us has kids in college and in kindergarten.

We are mothers, sisters, aunts, and grandmothers.

And, I know we have some dads, brothers, and uncles out there… but I haven’t heard from them yet!

We live in big cities, small cities,  and Nebraska.

We live in Canada, England, Australia and rural Iowa.

We work outside the home full time, part-time, or no time. Or we spend our time looking for work.

We have doctors, teachers, systems analysts, medical code specialists, homemakers, mechanical engineers, commercial real estate bakers, athletic trainers,  lawyers, and former lawyers/now sports video producers amongst us.

Coaches and  mentors and counselors, too.

We volunteer like crazy, racking up Top Volunteer Vwards, running entire Recreation Program, being Girl Scout leaders, backstage moms and coaching sports.

We have taken up snowshoeing, play tennis, walk like madwomen and do yoga. We play duplicate bridge, enjoy wine, and wear clogs. We craft, hike, and enjoy more wine.

We take care of our kids, our parents, our communities, and our many pets.

One of us lost 77 pounds last year, including losing weight on a Royal Caribbean cruise.

One of us is volunteering at an orphanage in Vietnam to celebrate her 40th birthday.

One of us feels enormous pressure to work outside the house.

One of us is called Mama D by her students.

One of us recently won the Funniest in Her Pod Award at work.

One of us is adopting a baby from Korea.

And we all need to laugh– at ourselves and our lives. Mainly, at ourselves!

Add your own profile. Just two to three lines! Thanks, Chaos Crew. Even more than ever, I feel like I am amongst friends.

Cynthia March 13, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Mother of 3 great kids…ages 13,12, and 8. Wish I didn’t yell at them so much. Married for 15 years. Find that harder than kids. I am 45. How did that happen? Work part-time from home. Love Lian’s stories about her kids.

Alan March 8, 2010 at 6:19 PM

I am a university professor (business and finance), 43, married for 20+ years, with a daughter at a different university from where I teach.

I have followed Lian and crew for at least 8 years now.

Sandy March 7, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Hi Lian – I am a HUGE fan! I recently turned 46 and have two boys, almost 13 and 15 and a yellow lab. We live in a small town in Northern California. I am a preschool teacher and my husband is an artist. I started listening to Satellite Sisters a couple of years ago, and LOVED the show, I was so thrilled that you kept going. I listen to the podcast on my daily walks and can really related to your stories. You keep me informed and make me laugh. Thanks!

Nancy March 6, 2010 at 8:53 AM

I am a 55 yr old daughter.sister and aunt

I love to do water aerobics, walk,sew,craft, watch home dec on tv, garden,cook and do most types of crafts

I support my hobbies by working as a consultant doing primaily interim CFO gigs

I live in northern California with dk, my drama king cat

carol w. March 5, 2010 at 9:25 PM

I’m 52, happily divorced, and mom of 16 year old son who is a joy and a blessing! My other children are cats, who I also carry pictures of in my wallet! Love them very much. Originally from Canada, then Wisconsin, now Illinois and working on plan to get back to wisconsin & family. Worked in accounting many years, but switched to IT a dozen years ago and have been on nightshift ever since and like it much more than ‘days’. Volunteer at humane society (for the cats!) – give them lots of love and contribute to the bake sales for fund raising. I discovered Satellite Sisters 10 years ago on my way home from work and have kept up with them ever since. Love all the girls and the podcasts and the blog. It sounds so weird to be in my 50′s as I still get together with my college friends a couple of times a year and we all haven’t changed a bit! LOL. All our kids are even grown and in college now! Scared of becoming an empty nester, but can now see retirement in future and hopefully traveling.

Amy March 5, 2010 at 1:09 PM

I am:
Over fifty, married for 25 year, currently live and was raised in New Jersey (some time out for good behavior in Boston, North Carolina, New York).
We adopted our older son, now 19; lots of struggles over the years since he is challenged by Asperger Syndrome and mood disorder – still hoping he will live independently as an adult. Second son was born when I was 41 (a happy surprise); now a surly – butgood – teenager about to become a bar mitzvah in 3 weeks. Worked part-time for many years; currently “underemployed” working as a paraprofessional in public school – but happy to have a job!
LOVE your show – make me laugh, laugh, laugh, share similar parenting values.

Andrea March 5, 2010 at 7:04 AM

I am a mom of 4 boys (oh boy!)–6, 4, and 1 year-old twins. They are the light of my life even when they make me want to pull my hair out. I don’t ever get to sit down and am not sure what “alone-time” is. I am married to my best friend. I live and work in Oklahoma. I always seem to have more to do than I can actually ever accomplish. I love listening to the podcast and reading the blog.

Leigh March 4, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Wife. Mother, Professor. Author. Dog and cat owner. Exercise enthusiast. Radio listener. Appreciator of others’ excellence. Friend of Satellite Sisters; friend of Chaos Chronicles. Keep up the good work! And thanks.

Laura R March 4, 2010 at 8:30 PM

I’m going to be 48 tomorrow. I’m a single mom to two boys, ages 11 and 13. Their dad took his own life five years ago. I enjoy my boys more with each passing year. Thursday is my favorite day of the week because it’s Chaos Chronicles day! In the vernacular of “Stranger in a Strange Land,” you totally grok.

Maureen March 4, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Oops-I forgot to add I live in Pittsburgh. And, where has Shelia been?!!! Really miss the sisters, but grateful for Lian.

Maureen March 4, 2010 at 12:40 PM

I am 48 and have two teenaged girls. 18 yr old is a Freshman away at college. By the time they graduate from High School it is REALLY time for them to go – but once they do, it is so unbelievably emotionally devasting….well, worse than you can ever imagine… My 16 yr old is a Sophomore. Will be married 26 (yikes!) this June. :) Quit my career as a Graphic Designer to be a stay ay home mom, and now that this job is coming to an end, having lots of trouble deciding what I should do next….

Christina March 4, 2010 at 11:52 AM

I am 44, single and no kids, well…I do have two rat terriers that I treat like they are my kids! But love being an aunt…and a cool one at that! (that’s what people tell me, I just love spending time with them) I live in Minnesota and am a restaurant manager. I was an avid Satellite Sisters listener and now love the Chaos Chronicles. Lian, you remind me a lot of my sister. She has 3 boys, her middle son and her youngest are the same age as Brookes and Colin. So I love hearing your stories, they sound a lot like my sisters. Thanks for keeping us connected!

Natalie March 4, 2010 at 7:54 AM

I am a mother of three girls (ages 10, 8 and 6) and one angel. My angel is my firstborn son who died of SIDS, while in childcare at 6 mos. of age. I am married to a great guy named Stephen. He is African-American and I am caucasian, so our children are bi-racial. I work as an Adjunct Math Professor at South Seattle Community College. I live in Seattle. We have a dog. I volunteer at my girls’ school on a when I am able basis. I love to bike, hike, skate, read, and sew, however I never have time to sew. Correction: I would have plenty of time to sew if I didn’t allow myself to get sucked into playing computer games so much! I love to listen to the Chaos Chronicles on my commute to and/or from work. I love to listen to my iPhone in general while cleaning, or driving anywhere, as it blocks out the girls’ bickering, keeps me sane and keeps me smiling!

Kami March 4, 2010 at 7:16 AM

I hope it’s not too late! I just saw the assignment.
I have a pretty good life, with husband, one daughter, and one dog. I work at home from Fairfield County CT, doing tech support for a not-for-profit in Boston. My husband also works for a not-for-profit in Yonkers, which is what brought us to this area. Unfortunately, both of us working for not-for-profits makes it a bit of a challenge to keep the bills paid in this expensive area. But it’s great for hiking, biking, making friends, and the schools are excellent too. When not working, I keep busy with church, on the board of the local football & cheer organization, with NCL with my daughter, and the occasional (small) school volunteer opportunity.
You’re right, it’s great fun to read everyone’s comments!

Lian March 3, 2010 at 6:13 PM

I may never write another post again. I am just going to let you all do the work because I am finding these SO entertaining and fascinating.

Expect more writing assignments in the future!!

Thank you for your efforts! This is great.

Lee March 3, 2010 at 5:56 PM

I’m a 50ish single (never married) mom of the most wonderful 10-year-old ever. I adopted my daughter in China when she was 9 months … best decision I ever made. My job as a college English prof. gives me the flexibility needed to manage my home, a very busy social life (for both of us) and some volunteer work. Chaos abounds but it’s motivating … at least when it’s not overwhelming!

sue March 3, 2010 at 5:09 PM

I’m a few Chaos’ behind as well, been on the road a lot lately.
I’m a sales person for a large outsourcing company/benefits. I work with amazing companies all throughout the midwest – OH, MI, IN. I need to buy a Ford to honor my favorite company! I work from home in my basement, and, travel a lot. My office is in NJ. We live in KY but are from CT (yes, Lian, it’s me! – Sue!). I am a mom of 4 kids (3 furry, and, one 11 year old amazing boy). I’m a wife of 19 years. I’m a bikram yoga enthusiast, and, I can never get there enough. When I’m there, I’m in pain, get yelled at by the instructors – but, I love it. I love to stay at home and cook, drink wine, read, and, spend time with the family. And then, hydrate again for yoga. I miss my friends from CT very much, and, am looking for some new friends in KY. I love my life.

Kim March 3, 2010 at 2:39 PM

I am a 41 year-old mother of 3 children, 12 & 9 year-old boys & a 6 year-old daughter. I’ve been married for 16 years to a fabulous man who makes everyday a little brighter and more fun. I live in a great community in Lilburn, a northeastern suburb of Atlanta, GA. I taught 4th grade before I had children, and have now been a stay-at-home mom (who doesn’t actually stay home very often, which I find is actually the key to my sanity…) for nearly 13 years. I’m a PTA Co-President at my children’s Elementary School of 1000 students. I lead a book club in my 4th graders classroom once a week. I am part of a grown-up book group that meets once a month. I love to cook, but loathe nearly every other household chore. I’m always up for a “field trip” to a fun place around Atlanta. I love when I get to be “fun mom” rather than “battle-ax homework” mom. Oh, and I really HATE homework, I mean, REALLY HATE homework. Nothing ruins a perfectly good day in our home like homework… But, I digress… ‘Love Chaos Chronicles. ‘Miss hearing your sisters laughing with you. And, I especially miss hearing about Sheila’s mishaps! Oh, she made me laugh with those crazy things! I listen to the podcast while I’m driving around town or doing chores. I wish it there were new ones more than just once a week. :-)

Luanne T March 3, 2010 at 12:53 PM

I’m a 45 year old mother of two teenagers, wife, sister, daughter and marketing manager living in a medium size town in Iowa. I started reading the Chaos Chronicles in Working Mother magazine, then began listening to podcasts of the Satellite sisters (since no local station carried it) and read “the book” and now love your blog. Life is so busy, between getting ready for a graduation, prom and soon college for the oldest and a driver’s license, car, boyfriend and first job for the younger and a crazy job that takes me on the job for several weeks each summer. Then to add to the craziness, my sister and mother were both diagnosed with aggressive cancer. Chaos is my life and the Chaos Chronicles is my escape.