Mommies, start your engines! It’s Summer Camp Registration time!

by Lian on March 10, 2010

Homepage madness! Thanks, oprah.com!

Homepage madness! Thanks, oprah.com!

For summer camp freak out, see below. But first, check out the smokin’ hot placement on oprah.com for my article “Six Friends  Every Mom Needs in her Momtourage.”

Thanks, oprah.com.

And, thanks to my teen son for teaching me how to do a screenshot!

Now, back to my regularly scheduled Chaotic post. And, then I’ll be heading into the closet to record 224. Or is it 225? I’ve had quite a week:  a trip to the Korean Day Spa, High School exams and attitude, Middle school meltdowns, Husband on Business trip, Big Book decisions ( shh…!) . All on the show later.

Can you feel the stress building? Are you scheming and plotting? It’s summer camp registration season. Are you in?

I’m in and now I’m exhausted. I woke at 4:17 this morning, long before the 5:30  alarm went off.  Today was the day to register Colin for summer camp and I would not be denied. Last night, I set the alarm, put the coffee on a timer, did a test run of the online registration site, confirming my “username” and “password” from last year just to make sure I was fully prepared for the dawn mission. My focus? Getting the exact week I wanted and the exact activity that Colin desired. I lay in bed imagining my competitors, the good mums of the Pac Northwest,  doing the same: firing up their laptops; drinking their coffee; warming up their typing fingers.   Those other mothers, just like me, wanted to get rid of, er, send their kids off to camp for a week. Could I outfox them, securing my week and his activity?  Was my DSL connection fast enough? Or would Colin end up doing arts & crafts for seven days and holding it against me for life?

I didn’t want to know the answer to that question.

As soon as the clock on my computer read 6:00 am PST, I sprung into action. My pulsed raised and my bad typing got even worse, as I felt the pressure to complete my registration before the other mothers of America could complete theirs. YES! I secured a spot in bucolic Oregon for week of good ol’ fashioned fun. And a week of peace for me.

But I earned, don’t you think?

New today on Oprah.com: Friends every Mom needs in her Momtourage.

Jennie March 13, 2010 at 7:20 AM

I myself have created a color-coded Excel sheet to keep things clear!

Kami March 12, 2010 at 7:36 AM

My daughter has been going to sleepaway camp for four weeks since she was 7 (she’ll be 13 this summer.) She loves it so much that, when we picked her up last year, she begged to go for the full seven weeks this year. So, we signed her up for this summer before we left Maine last summer. I joke with her “it’s a good thing you have school to pass the time until you go back to camp!”
I’m really grateful we found a camp that she loves so much! And it’s funny, you would think we (her parents) would spend the time while she’s away having our own fun adventures, but more often than not we just put in extra hours at work. Go figure.

Sue in NJ March 11, 2010 at 2:52 PM

AmyP,
Though my own children’s camp or no camp days have been gone for over 25 years, I do hear the camp stress stories from my daughter for her sons. In actuality, we never sent either of our children to camp. The tacit agreement was, “If they bring it up, we’ll discuss it.” They never did. I missed them during the school year and I hated the scheduled stress of a day camp (couldn’t even face the thought of sleep-away). For many years I was camp. The deal was that I selected a morning activity for me (tennis) and they played with each other at the courts. Then the choice was all theirs. We played tourists on many days, visiting new places in New York or New Jersey or Massachusetts, depending upon where we lived at the time. Sometimes we just went bike riding or played in the park. I think, overall, we did have enjoyable summers. And our daily schedules were much more flexible that way. I hope you and your family enjoy your summer together too!

Christine P March 11, 2010 at 9:17 AM

So, you know how your population in CA is higher than ours in all of Canada, well, one would think we don’t have this problem. WRONG! …and…not only do I have to register my own child, I have the immense responsibility to register my neighbors child as well (as they are out of the country during registration minute-lol) Now, there’s some stress for you…who do I do first, my kid or hers, what if one gets in and one doesn’t, will I have to move? It’s all very stressful, I agree.

nicole March 10, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Oh, I can so identify. This is our first year doing a camp, and I stood in line with the stomach flu holding in vomit for fear of losing my place in line. The cashier was very helpful and said “you seem a little stressed…”. Stressed?! Does she not know what we go through?

Loved this blog and looking forward to reading the Oprah article. I’m pacing myself.

Nancy March 10, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Before moving to New Mexico, we lived in Arlington, VA and let me tell you, the whole plan your whole summer in February and register in March thing was brutal. After having a four month summer in 2005 with almost no available camps and activities, I didn’t mind the 12:01am online registration or 7am sign-ups all that much!

Deanna March 10, 2010 at 10:56 AM

When my 6 y/o broke his arm last summer, getting an appointment with the orthopedic was like an Olympic sport. I had the house phone, my cell, my husband’s cell, all redialing like crazy to get through and make an appointment as early as possible. I find myself shaking as I hit the redial button, and triumph when I score a before-noon slot.

Signing up for rec center lessons? I’m Franny Fast Fingers. I get an adrenaline rush. (I know, I’m pathetic.)

Marvel at my appointment-fu.

Lian March 10, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Amy … a summer off always sounds great until June 15th. Then you look at the calendar and think, holy cow, that’s a LONG summer. At least, that’s what happened to me last year ! So I scrounged up a theater camp for the mid-way point!

But, I hear you: lazy is a very appealing concept! Don’t let me influence you in any way. :) Good luck with that.

AmyP March 10, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Lian, I felt my blood pressure rising just reading it. I have done this….thinking swim lessons and preschool registration which is so cut throat these days. I’m glad you got what you wanted, and I’m feeling the pressure…again..to sign my kids up, after I’ve told myself this is the year we are backing off of camps. Mostly because I have 3 kids close in age, but not close enough for them to all go together, therefore, my entire summers, just like my entire school years, are spent running them around to here and there. I’m actually thinking of taking the summer “off” to enjoy it. They get along really well and they really miss spending time together and with me (and I know I’m in the minority, but I miss them too during the school year). So, right now I’m thinking of going to the pool all summer and finding some good old fashioned fun, but after reading your blog….I’m feeling the pressure. Congratulations to you!!!!! Living in Ohio….I’m just glad to be thinking about summer at all!!!!

Amy DeFazio March 10, 2010 at 10:15 AM