The To Do List for Easter Weekend

by Lian on April 2, 2010

Hello, all…

I  thought about working up my usual to do list, but then I looked outside at my garden. It made the trip to the smog check,  the registering the car at AAA, the packing and loading of the mini-van for our ski vacation and the dishes in the sink seems pretty small. So instead, enjoy a few photos from our lovely Spring here in Pasadena. Winter rains make for spectacular Springs!

Our Wisteria covers about half the trellis after three years. Next year, my own personal Wisteria Festival!

Mandatory Roses in Pasadena: My Purple Icebergs ready to bloom.

Mandatory in all Pasadena Gardens: My Purple Icebergs ready to pop.

I'm terrible with plant names. Night Blooimng Jasmine and Yellow Somethings in Bloom!

I'm terrible with plant names. Night Blooming Jasmine and Yellow Somethings in Bloom!

Official Horticultural Name: Bright Pink Daisies That Need Very Little Water

Official Horticultural Name: Bright Pink Daisies That Need Very Little Water

Rosemary, Limes,  Meyer Lemons and Sage against the sunny garage wall!

Rosemary, Limes, Meyer Lemons and Sage against the sunny garage wall!

My garden is not quite as grand as Helen of Pasadena’s garden, but it will do on a gorgeous Spring day.  What’s blooming at your house this weekend?

Cyndi April 4, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Why doesn’t everyone live in Pasadena or somewhere warm and sunny most days of the year? Why do New Englanders put up with the bitter cold and snow and gray … ??

Thank you for your photos – lovely and refreshing for the soul.

hoyamom April 4, 2010 at 1:10 PM

I’d love a garden like yours. Unfortunately, we’re pretty limited in our area (between the clay soil and the deer) to forsythia, daffodils, and a few stray tulips. We just returned from Easter weekend in Washington, DC and it was a feast for the eyes. The cherry blossoms were at their peak, the dogwood were blooming and there were flowers everywhere. The weather was sunny and warm. For a moment, it was almost as good as being in Pasadena!

Lian April 4, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Christine…

The climate is delightful. And Pasadena is one of those self-contained communities where everything you need is right there: art museums, theater, stores, great cultural performances and events, good food, a varied &, rich cultural heritage, active outdoors lifestyle, good public transportation, politically and intellectually active citizens.

On the down side, we do have traffic, it’s at least 45 minutes to the beach, and it’s expensive. But there are great trade-offs. Like the sunny 72 degree days in January!!

Visit and see! Lian

Christine D. April 4, 2010 at 6:36 AM

looking at wisteria again and am transfixed…just gorgeous…I do have “a not so secret” wish to move to pasadena, but is it practical for a single 62 yr old lady?? California calls me, but it is a daunting move from the north central state of wisconsin .. are there lots of social outlets?? that climate …ahhh!

Kayla April 3, 2010 at 7:16 AM

My Goodness, your garden is beautiful! It makes me think Southern California wouldn’t be such a bad place to live…

Lian April 3, 2010 at 7:14 AM

Ah, all the flowers of my youth… forsythia, dogwood, willows, none of which we have in Southern California! But we have beverages… I think that counts as a garden delight, Kristin.

Kristin April 3, 2010 at 4:16 AM

Our very green grass makes me really want to get on board with other plants. Unfortunately, I have precious little green thumb (Gardening for dummies!) and am clueless. I’ll settle for a nice beverage on the back deck with a beautiful day and time to watch my kids play in the yard. Simple pleasures….

Beckett Graham April 2, 2010 at 7:37 PM

It was only a couple of days ago that it began to be green around here at ALL! Intrepid daffodils and crocuses are out. All the dogwood trees are just starting to have pink shadows on them. All the birds are angry that they came back so early and are stripping my feeder of seed every day. :)
Let’s hope for some sunnier horticultural news next week. I just love, love love wisteria, but the house where I had a big wisteria – it kept breaking the fence. Does yours do that?

Christine D. April 2, 2010 at 6:37 PM

well, I have crocuses and daffodils… magnolias are in bloom and grass is green… willow trees and dogwoods are coming alive again and forsythia is just open.. I envy the wisteria, but am happy to say my edelweiss made it through the winter and lots of early perennials seem to be awakening.. milder winter and some unseasonable heat has sprung our spring!!

Christine P April 2, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Beeee-autiful pics! I am green with envy as I sit in my faux fur lined booties and mittens planting Elephant Ear bulbs in a pot because…well, I have to bring them inside the house at night so they don’t freeze. If I don’t start them now, they will (apparently) not have enough time to bloom, our growing season in Calgary AB is very short and if you blink, it’s gone.

KAOP April 2, 2010 at 4:35 PM

That wisteria is WOW!

Kami April 2, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Forsythia! The memo must have gone out last night, because today it’s blooming all across town. There are plenty of daffodils and crocuses around the neighborhood, too. I love it!
Lian, thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures. How appropriate for Easter weekend!

Leslie April 2, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Gorgeous! Spring has not really sprung yet in Erie, PA, so not much to speak of in bloom, but we are having the most amazingly beautiful day today. Unseasonably warm, as is pretty much the whole eastern half of the country! Enjoy the beautiful weekend everyone!