10 Things I am Enjoying Today

by Lian on April 12, 2010

I’m back at the keyboard– after vacation, a  Saturday triathalon of  baggage unloading, grocery shopping and  doing laundry , a big family party on Sunday in honor of my niece Ruthie visiting from NYC, supervising a take home math test for Brookes, and dropping Colin off at the ferry terminal for a week of spring break camp on Catalina Island. On the rush hour ride home from the port, I had some time to think about All The Things I Am Enjoying at the Moment:

1. I am enjoying my Life Unexpected on the CW. Last week’s episode of this charming show was a total tearjerker. I watched it last night, after cleaning up the party dishes. My sister Sheila, staying with me for the week, found me in a puddle of tears at the end of the episode. Tonight’s the season finale, so if you haven’t gotten on this bandwagon, it’s not too late.

What could be better than Grapefruit-y Freshness?

What could be better than Grapefruit-y Freshness?

2. I am enjoying a fresh supply of Dove products. Whoever invented Dove Cream Oil deserves a special commendation from the Dry Skin Council. And, the Go Fresh line of hair care and body wash makes me happy because the packaging features a grapefruit and the word “fresh” several times. Next to pomegranates, I believe in the grapefruit as a beauty ingredient.  And you know how I feel about “freshness.” I’m not a paid spokesperson, but I am thinking about claiming the shampoo tagline as my own personal motto: A get- it- going boost. Wake up. Go Fresh.

3. I am enjoying the rain. Southern California is like a normal place this year. Every so often, we get rain! Last night, it poured and then stopped. That hardly ever happens here. We usually get two or three big rain storms, but never “occasional rain!” I haven’t had the sprinklers on since October.

4. I am enjoying the continued dialogue on blog about rice as a solution for wet electronics devices. I admit, I thought this was a joke when  Chris suggested “plunging the iTouch into a bowl of rice.” But Chris sent in the proof, in the form of a Real Simple article. More rice-plunging stories please.

No more sticky rice for me!  I can use it as a moisture absorbant!

No more sticky rice for me! I can use it as a moisture absorbant!

5. I am enjoying the resurgence of Betty White. She’s everywhere- on Ellen, on Oprah, in the shower with Hugh Jackman- and she deserves it. I want to be like Betty White at 88: funny, warm, never taking herself too seriously but taking her work seriously. More Betty, less bitterness, that’s what I say.

6. I am enjoying the Yankees insignia my son inserted on my nav bar. I don’t know how he did it, but he assured me I would like it. I do. Thanks, Brookes.

7. I am enjoying more tea, less coffee. Don’t worry,  Coffee Achievers, I still couldn’t make it through the morning without java, but a little herbal tea in the afternoon, instead of another mug of joe, appears to be working wonders on my skin. No medical proof, just a theory.

8. I am enjoying planning my trip to Vegas. Seriously! Two nights in Vegas next week. I’m the “plus one” on my husband’s work trip. We’re staying at the Encore, sister hotel to the Wynn, which looks to be over the top in all the right ways! My plan is to never leave the property but avoid the European Pool Area.

9. I am enjoying the e-mails about being spotted other places. Today, I got a tip from Bonnie that my Momtourage piece was on the CNN homepage. Yesterday,  I was spotted on MSN. Does that mean that I can call both Anderson Cooper and Al Roker my “colleagues?”

10. I am enjoying chicken. As Mr. Burns once put on The Simpsons, “Chicken is the gift we give ourselves.” So true.

What are you enjoying this week? Lian

Beckett Graham April 14, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Jami, I’m not sure about the judges, but my friend Deb is on that show this season!! So I’m pulling for her.

Jami April 14, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Speaking of TV, I enjoy watching television way more than I should. That being said, does anyone feel as strongly as I do that the judges on “Top Chef Masters” are simply unwatchable?

chris April 14, 2010 at 8:22 AM

Hey Lian,
Your Life Unexpected show is in danger, her is the USA today article and a chance to “vote”and save it! Article in today’s edition, 4/14/10 Good Luck!

Lian April 13, 2010 at 5:04 PM

I am enjoying these comments!! Good work, Chaos Crew. I feel like I, too, am enjoying planting wildflowers, teaching kindergarten, Project Runway, and wtaching the farmers plant their fields.
Kristin, please enjoy the cake after your half marathon.

And, Jami, thanks for the Vegas tips. Why, why is Vegas so stupid expensive? They give the rooms away, then charge these nutty amounts for everything else. And, we tourists enjoy paying too much to have a steak. cause it’s Vegas!!

cindy at LottieBird April 13, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Watching my daughter nurture her kittens while being grateful that they are tolerant of so much love.

Watching my husband plant salmon pink impatiens along our front walk while feeling the sun on my pasty white legs.

Watching the cherry blossoms fall and feeling the breeze as I knit beside an open window.

Later tonight I plan to enjoy watching the backed-up episodes of Project Runway (Beckett reminded me!).

Kristin April 13, 2010 at 10:23 AM

80 degrees with a breeze, because in St Louis, the temp will climb and wind will be gone all too soon.

Having (mostly) conquered my first 1/2 marathon, I am enjoying some guilt free eating. Bring on the cookie cake!

The last few weeks of a long year’s internship. I am too old for this and the job prospects are abyssmal.

My daughter’s first trip to the orthodontist. I know, not really enjoying it, yet, but I have to keep telling myself that because we will all need a valium!

The compliments on my springy dress today. Not sure if all the comments are because I usually look a hot mess or it is just a pretty dress…..but I will take it!

Jami April 13, 2010 at 7:36 AM

Lian,
You will love the Encore. My husband and I just returned from a two-nighter in Vegas. We stayed at the Trump, across the street, which was nice but the Encore is gorgeous. We had a delicious breakfast there in the Society Cafe. Pricey but very much worth it. We had a wonderful Chinese lunch at Noodles in the Bellagio, (bad name but excellent food), and a very good steak dinner off the strip at Del Frisco’s Double Eagle and a casual but quite good dinner at a Mexican restaurant on the canal at the Venetian. Check out the new City Center with the new Aria, Vdara, etc. We both found it very sterile, cold and uninviting. Not Vegas-like at all. We thought the venerable Ceasar’s Palace still was one of the best spots all around. It’s still got it. Just remember to bring your highest limit credit cards because the prices for everything are astronomical. Have fun and bring your walking shoes!

Jan April 13, 2010 at 6:17 AM

Enjoying the abundant crop of wildflowers in Texas. Bluebonnets are everywhere and bigger and better than ever thanks to all our winter rains.
Looking forward to another podcast with a report on all Lian’s adventures

Laura April 13, 2010 at 6:15 AM

1. Longer days, so that I can play outside with my girls after dinner.

2. Turning 40 – it’s not so bad!

3. Spring cleaning in my yard (but not looking forward to spring cleaning my house!)

Cyndi April 13, 2010 at 3:26 AM

Enjoying the early burst of green and bloom from all of the rain in Boston.

Enjoying helping my daughter pack for a trip to the Bahamas – my years of chanting “travel light, travel light” are slowly but surely paying off! Wish I could join her.

Enjoying the freshly scrubbed interior of my 130k minivan as my husband and I prepare for a roadtrip to Washington DC with our 14 year old son. Can’t fly for another month, so this will be an adventure!

Enjoying more restful sleep lately – priceless.

Susan in Iowa April 12, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Loving cool evening breezes through the house – sleeping with the windows open. Fresh air!

Watching the farmers getting their fields ready…

Soaking in all this beautiful sunshine…

Christine D. April 12, 2010 at 5:37 PM

I am enjoying greek yogurt and honey, as well as olive truffe oil from the Oilerie.com… egg white/veggie omelets … of course coffee and other wonderful things to eat … being creative with my meals has been more fun this week..
enjoy going out in the sun with my 2 dogs for frisky walking and experiencing the return of flowers and color to the world around me.. I am enjoying the fact that we will have another podcast this week.. so much good all around.. oh!! and the sound of birds once again and the color and life they bring ..

chpdlivr April 12, 2010 at 5:18 PM

1. Spending 8 weeks teaching kindergarten……….I am amazed at how much I’m enjoying this class! I usually would take a 6th grader any day.

2.Baseball……….the older I get, the more I like it. Go Twins!!

3. My local public library……..I was able to download an audio book for a road trip for free!

4. Facebook…….’nuf said.

Beckett Graham April 12, 2010 at 4:51 PM

1. Rosy cheeks from actual sun (instead of Benetint). Only the people in the Midwest know how long it’s been since that was possible!

2. All the city fountains are finally back on!

3. Staying out at the park until dark with sammies and a soccer ball.

4.Project Runway. What a good season at last.

5. That case of champagne left over from an event that is now in my house. Er. Some of it is still here. :) And miraculously, so is my kitchen window, which I have NOT shot out with a cork. This time.

Lian April 12, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I think so, Chris. With Sheila, I never want to promise anything! Lian

Chris April 12, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Does this mean we will get to hear
Shelia in the closet this week? Glad you had a good vacation.