Missing Corporate America. Occasionally.

by Lian on April 27, 2010

There’s a lot to be said for being your own boss working your own hours in your own house.  Most of it revolves around wearing your pajamas during the day, but other work -at- home types cite the freedom and the creativity. I would agree with that statement, but every once in a while, I miss Corporate America with its fancy copy machines and on-site meetings with lunch provided.

Most of all, I miss Corporate America when my technology goes south, like in the last few days.

Notice that my little blog is pictureless. And I know not why, but several days ago, my picture uploading capabilities just stopped working. Webmaster Sarah and I have been trying to figure out the cause, but it looks like we may have to call in a Word Press Expert. If you are one, leave contact info below!

And then my e-mail went all jiggy on me, leading to a two- hour odyssey with my MSN. The problem is still not fixed but I canceled my service and I’m getting a refund! So Pyrrhic victory for me! The tech situation made me realize how much I miss Joe, our delightful IT Man at my last job in Corporate America.

And then there are the other advantages of Corporate America that I pine for:

Free Blood Sugar Testing Every once in awhile, Corporate America had health fairs in the lobby of our building. I don’t why, but there were medical professionals there to give us tests at lunchtime.  Such a timesaver! Loved that.

Copy Paper and Unlimited Pens It may seems like a small inconvenience to buy pens and paper, but that’s because you have never run out of copy paper or a working pen late Sunday night when you need to print out a contract, sign it,  and fax it back by Monday morning 8 am EST. Add printer toner, business -sized envelopes and Fed Ex slips to the list of office supplies that mysteriously run out at home.

The Break Room Yes, Every break room in Corporate America is a Depository for Stale Carbohydrates and Old Lunches. But our break room had unlimited popcorn and diet Coke! That was sweet. No such provision in my house.

The Ladies Room What a great place to waste time.  So much better than going into my own bathroom during the day.  Plus, we could listen in to the conversation of the young employees from another division of the Company. I loved overhearing the conversation of the “club girls,” as we called them, who dressed so inappropriately for a corporate setting and had highly personal conversations in public! Awesome.

Jonas Brother and Miley Cyrus sightings Okay, I understand that doesn’t happen at most offices, but when you work in the same building as Radio Disney, like we did, it happened all the time. And, because they were Big Stars, Corporate America would provide breakfast burritos and beverages for their enjoyment. Which they never ate, of course. So we would. Yum.

Have you left your corporate job for greener pastures? What do you miss?

Embracing my chaos, Lian

MNMama April 28, 2010 at 6:40 PM

The paycheck! As a stay-at-home mom, I really miss my own income stream. However, the time with my kiddo has been fantastic. I don’t regret leaving a job I only marginally liked (with the worst office politics and bickering I have ever experienced) to be a domestic goddess. Well, my own brand of domestic goddess that believes the dishes can wait another day. And the vacuuming, and the laundry, and the dusting…

Lian April 28, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Laurie…
The best. Lian

Laurie April 28, 2010 at 1:43 PM

I miss my brain.

Cyndi April 28, 2010 at 10:35 AM

It’s been a while since I’ve been in the corporate world – I still remember vividly NOT enjoying feeling trapped in an airless old building, sitting in pointless meetings and wishing I was outside in the sun and fresh air!

I miss feeling productive and validated simply by physically “being” at work even if no work was being done. I miss the casual conversations and lunches and yes, the little celebrations that marked everyone’s lives. I miss the feeling of accomplishment when a project ended and the excitement when the next was just beginning.

I’m about to make some changes this fall and I’m excited and nervous about it – don’t think it will involve the corporate world though!

Mary Beth April 28, 2010 at 5:36 AM

I miss the casual conversations with co-workers. That’s why I listen to Chaos Chronicles and a line-up of various talk radio programs – my radio friends.

chris April 28, 2010 at 5:19 AM

I miss having the urge (craving) to bake something on a Sunday evening but knowing I can not possibly keep an entire cake/pan of brownies, etc….in my house but having a PERFECT place to take it on Monday morning! So, being able to satisfy a craving, urge to bake but being able to efficiently get rid of it! Everyone is always so appreciate too!

Lian April 27, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Oh, No! Not the dreaded Mercury in Retrograde!! Lian

zephyr April 27, 2010 at 10:32 AM

from the Examiner.com’s astrology column:
“Mercury retrograde April 18 to May 11

Mercury, the planet of communication, turns retrograde in Taurus on April 18, 2010. Usually Mercury retrograde means communication delays and mishaps. We need to prepare for glitches with computers, electronics, emails, files, and friends and business associates not responding promptly. There are often delays in getting contracts or agreements signed. It is a time to practice patience.”

Colleen April 27, 2010 at 10:30 AM

I miss the roach coach pulling up at lunchtime for our taco-eating convenience. And I miss the giddy, furtive fun of IMing gossip and jokes to workplace friends who are sitting a mere 6 feet away.

I don’t miss the awkward birthday-cake gatherings (The Office sure gets those right).

Lian April 27, 2010 at 10:26 AM

I agree, Sharon. When you are home alone, it’s just ‘drinking coffee’– it’s not a break!

Sharon April 27, 2010 at 9:25 AM

I miss having “coffee breaks”. I still drink as much coffee, but no one meets me at the coffee maker to discuss the lastest drama of the day.