Worst Mother’s Day Gifts Ever & What Moms Really Want!

by Lian on May 5, 2010

Hello, Chaos Crew…

This year for Mother’s Day, I am going with theme gifts for my mother, my mother-in-law, my sistermothers, my sisteraunts and other mother-like figures in my kids life: Good card and those beautifully printed paper hand towels for guest bathrooms. Nothing says you matter like paper products. My sister Julie, who devotes many more hours to gift shopping than I do, called those guest towels the Gift of 2010, thanks to the  H1N1 virus. Who doesn’t appreciate a fresh towel in a guest bathroom?  And, she insisted I buy dozens for the company holiday party I hosted in December. They were a hit. As usual, my big sister Julie was right.  I have now adopted the guest towel as my go- to gift. So get ready, Moms of All Kinds, ’cause that’s what’s in the bag on Sunday!

In the meantime, I have so, so enjoyed the funny responses to the question I posted on Facebook: What’s the Worst Mother’s Day Gift You’ve Ever Received. So far, my unofficial winner is the pregnant woman coffee mug for the mom-to-be Deanna. Because it’s just gross to drink out of a mug featuring low-slung breasts.  A close second, the chastity pajamas given by an ex-husband! But please, check out the Facebook post ( and friend me if you haven’t) . Then add you own unfortunate gift below– wither given or received. I’ll be reviewing on the podcast tomorrow.

This week’s Oprah.com post is Mother’s Day related, too! What Moms Really Want for Mother’s Day. Click here to read the post and feel free to forward to those who may be in a gift-buying position.

Lisa Paul May 9, 2010 at 5:43 AM

I’d like a link to the towels you are referring to, they sound interesting. I might be interested in them for everyday use. Lisa

Christine D. May 8, 2010 at 3:25 PM

the best gift for me is time….and with grown kids…sometimes its not possible so other days become my “mothers day”…..

t3zoo May 7, 2010 at 1:41 PM

oh that is good, Lian, just the phrase “low slung breasts” has me laughing on a tired Friday afternoon!

Chris in San Diego May 6, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Lian – I love the cover of Helen of Pasadena! If I saw the book at the bookstore, it would entice me to pick up the book and look at it. Congrats, again! Happy Mother’s Day, all. Still thinking about the worst gift ever…hmmm.

chpdlivr May 6, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Good Mother’s Day gifts, Lian! I have appreciated the ones with our monogram. They look classy in the powder room.

Sue S from MN May 5, 2010 at 11:37 AM

I haven’t gotten anything really bad, but I have certainly had my share of “practical” gifts for Mother’s Day. I believe I have gotten appliances, or other household items that were needed at the time.

This year I got a GPS, it’s not necessarily a bad gift. However, I was trying to recall when I would have murmured that I really needed/wanted a GPS or put it on my wish list. Can’t think of when that happened (maybe when I was sleeping?) I also got my Mother’s Day gift two weeks ago, because my husband and son said they couldn’t “wait” to give it to me. Implied – they couldn’t “wait” to try it out. I know I’ll be heading out to get a manicure or buy my self something this weekend.

Happy Mother’s Day to everyone!!