Ten Things to Like this Tuesday: Products, Entertainment, Recipes and Pictures of Bears

by Lian on June 7, 2011

#1 Thing to Like this Tuesday? Bears hugging dogs. Enough said.

Ten Things is back! My semi-regular list of recommendations on products, events, entertainment, ideas, recipes and the occasional photo of a animal doing something cute. Today, on Ten Things to Like this Tuesday, we have a give-away people!  Read below for details:

#2 Lunchbox Love Notes Ever since I heard the school psychologist say that a little note in the lunchbag can go a long way with communicating with your kids, I have been a fan and an advocate. I love these pre-made cards from Say Please, called Lunchbox Love. There are sets for Kids, Tweens & Teens, Girlfriends and Those You Appreciate. Small, sweet and complete with a heartfelt note and fun quote or fact on the back side. And the best part?  A portion of all proceeds goes to The Lunchbox Fund, a  non-profit dedicated to providing a daily meal for extremely poor and at-risk school children in South Africa.

Congratulations to Annie, Kim B. and krlock on winning the Lunchbox Love Cards.

Additionally, Lunchbox Love has free printables for kids for Teacher Appreciation and Father’s Day. You can check them out here or order your own set of Lunchbox Loves.

#3 Five Minutes to Happiness Here’s a new website dedicate to getting happy with small, self-improvement projects that you can do every day. Five minutes to happiness? Sign me up! Follow this link to see a wonderful, simple  5-minute yoga vinyasa created by yoga teacher Jan Koerner. I’ve done this the last two days and felt happier immediately! Yeah  me!

#4 Covert Affairs Still in mourning for Alias? I know. I am, too. But Covert Affairs  is a pretty good substitute and it returns tonight for season two on USA. Piper Perabo is a kick-butt CIA operative with a complicated and seriously steamy love life with a rogue CIA operative who is pretending to be a researcher at the Smithsonian to fool her sweet sister. Great supporting cast ( Ah, Peter Gallagher, I miss The O.C. . too!) and a sense of fun. Perfect summer stuff.

#5 Super 8 And speaking of J.J. Abrams, let’s talk Super 8 that opens this Friday. Coach Taylor and J.J. Abrams involved in the same movie?  I’m in. I can not wait for this film to open. But I understand that there is a Big Plot Secret ( island disappears?) and a Top Secret Monster ( Polar Bear? Smoke monster?) that is leaking out in all kinds on internet chatter– so I refuse to read anything more about this movie until it opens. Colin and I are going on Friday.

It's a towel and a photo op! How can you resist, Auntie?

#6 Adorable Animal Towels for Adorable Little Kids As a mother, I believe in cozy pajamas, striped shirts on boys and fun towels to celebrate summer. Love these Hooded Cotton towels from ZOOCCHINI. Can you say Cute, Cute, Cute? At $30, a great gift– you deliver a 100% cotton towels and a photo op! Check out the home decor on this site,too. Great rugs on sale.

#7 New Blog Roll at chaoschronicles.com Slowly but surely, I am rebuilding my blogroll that mysteriously disappeared several months ago. Chaos Crew, gotta blog? I know many of you do. If you want to be included in the Chaos Crew Blogs sections, post the link at the Chaos Chronicles Facebook Page. Then, I’ll gather up all the links and organize them in one Chaos-tastic Blog Roll section!

#8 Cherries Wow, the cherries have come in over the last few weeks and I can not get enough. I know the grape growers would like us to believe that grapes are “nature’s candy”– but for me, it’s cherries.  Even though the weather is a little cool here, those juicy, red gems make it feel like summer.

For a Birthday Breakfast from makinglifebetter.com

#9 Blueberry Crisp Let’s stick with fruit, shall we? This is my idea idea of a “birthday cake”  for a 16 year- old boy, except I served it for breakfast.  Here is the recipe for the Blueberry Crisp. Next to cherries, I like Blueberries best! And, I have found that even with my limited baking skills, I can successfully make a crisp! I made mine in my new Williams-Sonoma 9 x 9 baker and it was a work of art.

Star Wars Mini-Land, here I come!

#10  Legoland Star Wars Mini-land I love Legoland. I love everything about it– from the landscaping to the Apple Fries to the firefighter show that I have seen a dozen times. But there’s nothing at Legoland I love more than Mini-Land, the heart of the park where the world’s great landmarks are executed in zillions of Legos. I could spend all day there. And now, the Legoland genii have unveiled the new Star Wars section of Mini-land. We are headed to San Diego county in June for a lacrosse tournament and no one is happier than I am that we will have time to stop by Legoland ( It’s been a few years!) and check it out. If you are really gung-ho, Star Wars Weekend is June 18h and 19th.  Is dad a Star Wars geek? BYO Light Saber.

Leave a comment to win the Lunchbox Love notes. Or just leave a comment for the fun of it!

Embracing my chaos, Lian

Related posts:

Six Things to Like This Wednesday Zumba Sticks, military dogs and more

Lian June 10, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Yeah to Annie, Kim Burlingame and krlock on winning the sets of Lunchbix Love Cards!

Please send me you home addresses and I will pop them in the mail. You can email me at lian (at) chaoschronicles (dot) com.

Thanks. Lian

Jennifer June 10, 2011 at 8:44 AM

I have a first grader next year, so would love the lunchbox notes – I think my daughter would love them! And that blueberry crisp looks sooooo good!

Cyndi June 9, 2011 at 4:35 AM

I hope there will be no bears hugging MY dog anytime soon … there is a black bear roaming our little town’s streets and back yards lately … you would think Bigfoot was in our midst with the reports of sightings haha …

If I had the ingredients, I would make that blueberry crisp right now – wow that looks good!

krlock June 8, 2011 at 1:31 PM

The love notes look adorable. Wonder if my 11 yr old daughter would be embarrassed by them or would like it if i included them. I know my son would love it! Thanks for the idea!
Also blueberry crisp looks awesome- so hungry now.

Jill June 8, 2011 at 12:55 PM

@Laurie, number 1 is the photo of the bear hugging the dog. Hilarious! I love sticking notes in my girls’ lunchboxes too and have fond memories of my mom doing the same. It’s nice to have these pre-made ones ready to go for those crazy busy mornings!

Jamie June 8, 2011 at 9:56 AM

I love Say Please and all the products they sell! I use them for coworkers, friends, my kids and even for Christmas presents. BTW, Say Please also has a Holiday line for Halloween, Christmas ans Valentine’s Day. My kids love the fun facts that are included on the back of each one! I like that there are blank cards included in the packs so I can write in my own jazzy phrases. :) Thanks so much for the blueberry crisp recipe…can’t wait to try it! J

Kathy in Atlanta June 8, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Lian, thanks for putting us in touch with “Say, Please., Inc.”

What a thoughtful, caring company!

Becky June 8, 2011 at 6:57 AM

I am going to check out the 5 minute Vinyasa yoga. Thanks for the great post!

Kelly June 8, 2011 at 6:31 AM

I forgot about lunch box notes! Thanks for the reminder!

Meg in Milwaukee June 8, 2011 at 3:36 AM

I LOVE lunchbox notes! My husband used to write on my lunch bag every day for one year. Not so much anymore :) Blueberries are my favorite, but that WS baker needs more attention. So awesome!

I loved the post about Brookes. I would really like to hear more about them – although perhaps as they are older it gets more tricky. I used to love hearing your kid stories and parenting issues on SS!!

CLSD OPEN June 7, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Great reminder about the lunch box notes! As the school year goes on, I start forgetting to put them in, but the kids love them. Blueberry crisp—yum!! Will try the 5 minute happiness yoga. What a great way to start a day! :-)

Megan June 7, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Blueberry crisp for breakfast! It just can’t get any better, YUM!

Laurie June 7, 2011 at 3:28 PM

Not to be picky, but…..where’s #1?!

Or, is the 10 things list #1. Oh, I am so confused.

KAOP June 7, 2011 at 2:13 PM

I haven’t made a blueberry crisp in ages… now I’m hungry.

Sue in NJ June 7, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Wow, Lian! This is a great list of 10 things to like! Blueberries, going to try that one. Legos and Star Wars – my 39-year-old son will totally embrace this and I’m sending him the link. A 5-minute yoga addition to brighten my day, fantastic. And notes in the lunchbox were always a favorite. I used to put notes in my kids’ lunches and was paid back in kind when my teenage (at the time) daughter put a note in MY lunch, delivered to me after I slept out overnight for Billy Joel tickets. In fact, she used to leave notes in many places when she visited her grandparents. We called her the “Poison Pen.” Finally, thanks for posting a reminder for Covert Affairs! I was (and might still) post one on Facebook because I’ve been anxiously awaiting this series’ return.

Annie June 7, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Thanks for the blueberry crisp receipie, I am going to make it soon. Much easier to make since I don’t have to pick them!
As for leaving notes…I have always tried to do that in the past, but seem to have forgotten to lately, thanks for the reminder!

Carol June 7, 2011 at 11:28 AM

My sweetie sometimes puts notes in my suitcase when I go on business trips. So thoughtful — I’m one lucky gal.

Teresa Smith June 7, 2011 at 10:41 AM

It’s blueberry picking time now! Thanks for the recipe; I have tons of blueberries that need baking!

Kim Burlingham June 7, 2011 at 10:38 AM

My favorite lunch box message was putting the note between the cheese slices of a sandwich. It said “April’s Fool.”. My daughter’s revenge? Saran wrap between the toilet lid and the seat. :)

Nicole etal June 7, 2011 at 10:27 AM

I remember one time in elementary school my friend’s lunch box note from her mom had thermos soup spilled on it. We used team work to read the bleeding ink on the napkin.

Have fun at Legoland. I’m jealous.

Kristin June 7, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I love to put notes in my daughter’s (and now son when he goes to kindergarten in the fall) lunchbox. These notes are way cuter than my typical note in sharpie on a paper towel! :)

And I must say, I too embrace the blueberry. If only the rest of my family did. My son saw the Lego picture on this post and about died. At 5, his nirvana would be a trip to a serious Legoland….gotta get that on the bucket list!

Hope Brookes had a great birthday!~

Joan June 7, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Thanks for reminding me about notes in lunch boxes. Once my older two sons started making their own lunches, I forgot about writng notes for my youngest son! In our house, once you get into middle schoool, you make your own lunches. I have one more year of making lunches for my youngest. I will make this next year count!

Mainer June 7, 2011 at 10:03 AM

I occasionally put notes in the lunchboxes of my children, perhaps it should be more frequent.
Thank you for the yoga link. Anybody know how I could get that onto my iTouch?