Ingrediants for a Fabulous Wedding: Love, Dancing and Alligator Soup

by Lian on October 10, 2011

The Happy Couple in art work from their wedding website!

Back from my nephew’s wedding in New Orleans and my feet are sore. That’s a good sign, people! We danced til midnight and beyond, because the music was great, the company was enthusiastic and love was in the air. My nephew, his lovely bride and their families put together an unforgettable weekend in New Orleans. Three cheers for all involved. While we recover, a few thoughts on ingredients for a memorable wedding:

Love It sounds obvious, but we’ve all been to weddings that seem a little too much about the party and not enough about the marriage. (Kim Kardashian, lookin’ at you.) This weekend, the bride and groom were clearly in it for the love. The ceremony itself was filed with emotion and profound sentiment and there were quite a few tears in the church from the bridesmaids to the parents to the aunties. Perhaps because the wedding couple had the good sense to surround themselves with 140 people all rooting for them– and each other. For us Dolans, it was the first time that every cousin, sibling and in-law had been together in a decade, so that was special in and of itself. Even without the wedding, we would have had a fine time. But having such a strong sense of togetherness emanating from the happy couple made the event ten times more meaningful.

Dancing Sure, love is grand but so is a rocking beat. And if you want your guests to dance, there may be no better town than New Orleans to hire a wedding band, where even the run- of- the -mill wedding band can get folks on their feet. But book Rockin’ Dopsie & The Zydeco Twisters and it’s guaranteed the dance floor will be full, the room will get steamy and most of the women will have their shoes off by the time the band plays “Shout.” Holy Cow, we had some fun on that dance floor. Full Dolan participation, from the littlest cousins to grandparents– four generations doing the Rockin’ Dopsie. (At one point, I attempted a reaching back bend which was ill-advised but fortunately, my husband was there to back me up. That was close!) There were quite a few stiff wedding guests the next day– a good sign!

Alligator Soup Yes, the wedding meal included Antoine’s famous Alligator Soup. And Shrimp Etoufee and   mounds of Crabmeat and Oysters, then Trout Almandine and multiple flavors of wedding cake.   But the good food wasn’t contained to one meal. Oh, no. At other meals during the weekend there was: Jambalaya; Catfish; Cajun Eggs Benedict with Soft Shell Crab; Oyster Po-Boys, Banana Fosters French Toast;  beignets and Pimm’s Cups. Good thing there was all that dancing! There is nothing like eating in New Orleans.

More photos to follow, when somebody sends them to me! yes, I failed to take a single photo, but lots of Dolans were snapping shots along the way, so I’m sure they will be sent along.

In the meantime, it’s a pleasure to welcome Lauren to the family.

Melvina October 13, 2011 at 3:05 AM

Very true! Makes a change to see soemnoe spell it out like that. :)

William J. October 11, 2011 at 5:49 AM

I’m with Kathy.

What a treat it was to read about the wedding and the trip to New Orleans. It sounds like so much fun. When a group like your family has such a wonderful event the happines is catching, it spills over to everyone and makes it a wonderful night for the band and the servers also.

Nothing but good luck to the bride and groom. I’m sure their love will make it a great marriage!

Bill

Sue in NJ October 11, 2011 at 5:20 AM

What a wonderful weekend you all had! Congratulations to the wedding couple and to their entire family. Also looks like Kathy in Atlanta has already written your podcast outline, so….. we’re waiting :-)

dee October 10, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Congratulations to the couple n family. ..Sounds like a great time was had by all.

Chpdlivr October 10, 2011 at 4:28 PM

I’m with Kathy in Atlanta….I want to hear it all!

Kathy in Atlanta October 10, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Best Wishes for a Lifetime of Love to The Happy Couple!

Lian, thank you for the update. It might be safe to wager that the Sisterhood is more interested in THIS wedding than even William and Kate’s wedding.

Sooo… do you think it might warrant an extended Satellite Sisters podcast?
I’m thinking the thoughts and feelings of Julie the MOG; thoughts and feelings from the Aunties; TRAVEL LOGISTICS AND CHAOS is always fun for us out here; Liz’s take on this facet of Edna and Jim’s Excellent Adventure; husband’s and the wedding; teenage cousins and the wedding; babies and the wedding; Monica’s black dress and raincoat at the wedding; New Orleans itself as a character in this wedding story; Sheila and Love at the wedding; pets at the wedding; more on fashion; more on food.

Am I greedy? Yes, I am!

Bev October 10, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Can’t wait to hear how the mother of the groom was after all
of her planning!

Jane in NH October 10, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Wow ! Sounds perfect to me :)

MaryCatherine October 10, 2011 at 8:38 AM

So glad to hear that everything went as planned and that you all had a wonderful time together! I am not so sure about the Alligator soup though! Best wishes to the bride and groom.

Cynthia McKenna October 10, 2011 at 8:34 AM

sounds like a great wedding! Congratulations to the newly married couple!