The Book Awards: Before & After Photos and A Discovery of Witches

by Lian on October 24, 2011

So, off I went Saturday night to the Southern California Independant Booksellers Awards. My novel Helen of Pasadena had been nominated for Best Fiction and I was tickled pink. Quite a thrill! I did what my big sister Liz told me to do: I prepared a speech even though I thought the possibility of victory was remote because my book was a comedy and Everyone Knows Comedies Don’t Win Big Awards.  But I didn’t want Liz to yell at me about ” blowing my moment,” if , by some freak vote, Helen of Pasadena brought home the trophy or disco ball or whatever they handed out. When the four nominees were announced, I got very excited and, for an instant, hopeful. Then, the winner was announced and it wasn’t me. Or my book. I had one of my tablemates capture the moment:

Before: Self Portrait at home before leaving for the Awards. Hopeful and Excited.

Afterwards: Disappointed and Bitter. Okay, not Bitter. But Disappointed and Double-chinned. How does Susan Lucci maintain her composure ? How?

The winner in my category. Which I am pleased to say, I had signed by the author because I believe she will be Very Famous . Good for her.

Actually, it was hard to be bitter, because I had a lovely conversation with the winner of  my category, author Deborah Harkness of A Discovery of Witches and she seemed Very Nice and Very Smart. Dang. She even wanted to have lunch because we live in the same area. Oh, okay, Fine. BTW, congratulations on That Big Movie Deal, too, Deborah. I’m so happy people are calling you The Next JK Rowling.

I’m over it, but I’m sorry I didn’t get to give my speech. It was Very Funny. Perhaps, I’ll do a dramatization on the Podcast this week– as if I had won! Yes, that is exactly what I’ll do. Nobody puts Baby in a corner.

In the meantime, I’m totally enjoying Deborah’s book. Dang. You’ll want to read it to– before the movie comes out!

Embracing my chaos, Lian

Related Posts:

Helen of Pasadena Comes to Vroman’s

Helen of Pasadena in the Twin Cities

13 ways Helen of Pasadena is Just like You

CLSD OPEN October 24, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Lian – you are the winner in our minds! :) And I agree with all the other posts – you look fantastic, and yes we want to hear that speech!!

Cyndi October 24, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Ditto to everything Great Lakes said. You look lovely in the pictures!

Great Lakes October 24, 2011 at 1:04 PM

I loved your book; sorry you didn’t win the award. You are a winner in my eyes!

Loved your comment about Baby. You are so funny.

Anxiously awaiting your sequel.

Susan Vollenweider October 24, 2011 at 12:38 PM

I’m going to have to agree with all the other posters…you rock the silver and blue! (and I’m totally stealing that tip!) Congrats on showing what a dignified non-award winner looks like! Looking forward to the podcast–no need to waste a perfectly good speech!

mari (Bookworm with a View) October 24, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Hair and makeup are amazing!

You won in all of our eyes so please stand up in the closet this week, close your eyes and accept your ‘oscar, pulitzer, or emmy’. I can’t wait to hear your speech! Remember… you ARE the author of a best selling novel, celebrate this :)

Lian October 24, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Thanks for all the nice comments– about my eye make-up! Yes, I really nailed the “evening look” with silvers and blues. The secret to making your eyes pop? My hero Bobbi Brown suggested putting a “dot” of white shadow on the inside corener of your eye ( where it meets your nose). Seriously– it works! Don’t take the shadow all the way to the inside corner. Pop of white!

pat in o.c. October 24, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Witches, teenage wolves, tall vampires, or a wimpy kid…no problem.
She won & she has a movie deal, ok fine. But, is she an honorary Rose Queen? No way………

Michele October 24, 2011 at 11:49 AM

You look beautiful! I think you’re right about adding witches to your next book. Witches were featured in a Chris Bohjalian book that I just finished, and it was great! I’ll bet that witches will be the next craze. They are very interesting, and a perfect follow-up to the myriad vampires out there:)

Karyn October 24, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Oh well. But your eyes look extra-blue and pretty in the first shot. :)

Cynthia McKenna October 24, 2011 at 10:55 AM

so disappointing. On the up-side, I love your hair.