Chaos Chronicles Podcast 436: News, Advice, Modern Motherhood

by Lian on November 14, 2011

Hi, all…

A Chaos Chronicles podcast with a split personality, from My Teen/Tween Cast Party to Penn State and lots of emotions in between.

Listen in and let me know what you think.

Related Links:

Parenting Perspective: The Gift of Flight

MaryCatherine November 17, 2011 at 10:08 AM

I can not put into words the sadness I feel for Anthony and Ewan. Their stories over the years have been inspiring. Thank you for your beautiful tribute. I will also be donating to the Ronald McDonald House. I hope they are able to find peace and happiness. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

Susan in Iowa November 17, 2011 at 7:43 AM

I am so sorry, Anthony for the loss of your beautiful son. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your son during this sad time. God bless.

patty s November 16, 2011 at 7:05 PM

I can’t think of anything to add. Other than I am very, very grateful to have found such a great group of people.

Anthony, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I have no words. God bless.

And I will be making a donation to the Ronald McDonald House here in Minneapolis in Oscar’s name.

William J. November 16, 2011 at 8:50 AM

I followed Anthony’s blog and with each entry my heart both hurt and warmed. Hurt because no child should suffer like Oscar did and warmed because Anthony was the best dad under the worst of circumstances. Anthony and Ewan made Oscar’s time on earth one filled with the love of a brother and father. Like everyone here I cried at your Eulogy and cry every time I think of Oscar.

I am making a donation in Oscar’s name to Doernbecher Children’s Hospital through Liam’s club. Liam is a six year old boy suffering from cancer who when he found out others in his ward needed help went to his piggy bank and gave six dollars because he was six. Sounds like he and Oscar would be the best of friends. We learn so much from children.

My heart goes out to Anthony and Ewan. But I also what thank them and Oscar for what they have taught me.

Bill

Michelle November 16, 2011 at 6:21 AM

Lian – you recounted that story with such emotion, tenderness and dignity. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. I have been a listener for years but have never commented before but I could not do anything else until I had connected with you all. I sincerely hope that Anthony keeps in touch with you and the rest of the Chaos Crew and that we can continue to help and support him and poor Ewan in any small ways that we can. I will be donating to John Hopkins, where my brother works as a paediatric oncology nurse. Thank you, Lian. We will all hold our children closer and try to remember what is important. God bless little Ewan and keep Oscar safe in heaven.

Kristin November 16, 2011 at 5:04 AM

Lian and Crew,

I had to stop before the show was over, both out of emotion and my need to get into work to stop myself. I had been remiss in keeping up, primarily as my own son fought a much less serious illness in February of this year. I am sick at this moment, as my son got better, just turning six and living life to the fullest in kindergarten. In the past, with little boys fairly close in age, I would correspond directly with Anthony. I am walking into work at an all boys high school and feel Oscar’s presence both there and at home.

Kristin (aka KbRadcliffe)

Kathy in Atlanta November 15, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Lian, Cyndi expressed it perfectly.

As you spoke last night I recalled the delight in your voice a couple of years back when you announced that Anthony’s little boys won the “marble racers” – a brief but pure joy – and that recollection and your words last night brought me to tears.

Beth November 15, 2011 at 9:23 PM

Lian,
I just listened to your podcast and, as you told the story of Oscar, Ewan, Anthony and the kids’ mom, I found that I was gripping my laptop harder and harder as the tears fell. I just wanted so badly to be able to connect to you and all of the others touched by the love you were sending out. Thank you, Lian. God bless us all real good and special blessings to Anthony, Ewan and new angel Oscar, who has rejoined his mom.

Cyndi November 15, 2011 at 8:10 PM

Lian, you’ve made the big world a very small and intimate place by just being you. A broadcast, a listening, a following … Anthony came to you and you brought Anthony and his story to us. Always so happy to hear a dad’s perspective, I was connected to Anthony and eventually to Oscar’s life story, along with many others. Anthony shared so bravely and we supported him as best we could. I can’t begin to tell you the depth of my feeling for little Oscar and his brave battle. Your words on the podcast were the eulogy here in the US that I, for one needed. Thank you Lian. xox

Sue S from MN November 15, 2011 at 7:40 PM

I am touched about Anthony and his family. I was not familiar with the background, so I am grateful you shared that with us. I could not stop the tears flowing as you told us about Oscar’s passing. Their family is in my thoughts and prayers. Thanks Lian for reminding us all about not sweating the small stuff, it was a message I really needed to hear today!

Lian November 15, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Wonderful emails all. A tribute to our community.

I think any donation is a lovely gesture– money, a toy, whatever is needed in a pediatric oncology setting.
Ronald McDonald House is also another appropriate idea. They do wonderful work, take no money from families and have all kinds of needs in terms of supplies, volunteers and funds.

Thank you all. Lian

Karyn November 15, 2011 at 1:56 PM

As a parent and a twin, that story broke my heart… but thank you for sharing it.

Sue in NJ November 15, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Glad you didn’t have any party crashers for your cast party. My daughter’s junior high graduation party included tons of teenagers, melting ice cream in the family room, party crashers with unidentified (but illegal) additions to the soda pop, my chasing off of the crashers and their stash, and yet a fun time had by all. Biggest secret was sending my husband and son away for the weekend because I knew dad couldn’t handle the stress!

Thank you, Lian, for talking about Anthony and his family, as I’d wondered what was happening in his life. So very sad to hear the news and wishing there was more to do than charitable giving. Been thinking all day about his little twin who must miss his brother terribly and always will. We each must be grateful for our loved ones; this world is so unpredictable and our time together can be brief.

e.s. davis November 15, 2011 at 11:55 AM

People were looking at me a little strange this morning, as I was out walking my dog listening your postcast; I began to cry and did not stop until I got home. I immediately sent a text to my son, who is away at college, just to tell him how much I love him. It makes you appreciate all that we have… God bless Anthony and his family!

Linda Sue November 15, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Lian:
Beautiful, heartfelt, so eloquent, my heart aches for Anthony and Ewan.

I seem to remember that Anthony was one of your first subscribers. I remember thinking that life had certainly handed him so much sorry yet he had the joy and comfort of his two little boys. It’s hard to believe that he has now lost one of them.

Please share my condolences. Thank God he has the support network of the Chaos Crew and you. I will make a donation to St. Judes Children’s Hospital.

Sue November 15, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Oh Lian. I sobbed listening to you telling us about Anthony and his sweet boy, Oacar. It is just so unimaginable. I’m so glad he has the Chaos Crew for extra support. I will be donating to our local hospital this week. Number 1 on my to-do list.

Pauline November 15, 2011 at 9:27 AM

I don’t think I have ever had such an emotional reaction to a story as I have just had listening to your account of Anthony and his poor family. I cried right along with you, as am I sure so many of us did. Although I haven’t been following his blog, I feel so proud to be a member of our little crew – those who have reached out and supported him throughout this and those of us who are here now – ready to prop him up and support him in any way we can. I will be donating too. Do you think we should donate money or things like toys or other supplies? May little Oscar rest in peace and may Anthony fine peace. Thank you for sharing this Lian.

chpdlivr November 15, 2011 at 7:58 AM

Now that I’ve had time to think, I remember all the Halloweens we hosted a party here……complete with dry ice and fog machine. It was the jr. high years that stick out the most. As parents dropped off their kids, they were filled with gratitude that WE were the ones doing this, and not them!! One year I sent the kids on a scavenger hunt in the neighborhood. Luckily I have neighbors with a sense of humor. All I can say is that I could relate to the drama and shenanigans of that age.
Oh, yes, and did I mention the year my husband was on a business trip over Halloween? I’m not sure I can ever repay the friend who came over to help me supervise!
Now I’m slightly missing those years………slightly.

chpdlivr November 15, 2011 at 6:51 AM

Sorry for any typos in this note. I’m writing through tears. The end of the show was so emotional…..as one who followed Anthony’s blog, I was so touched by his writing and his life. I have no words……..heartbreaking is all I can come up with. Toy donation will be made.
I absolutely loved the song you ended with. Who was that?
Peace