December, Here We Come! Or, Ugh, Here we come, December…

by Lian on November 28, 2011

Ugh, here we go, ” I uttered to my husband this morning at 5 am as he was headed into the shower and I was right behind him, ticking off a mental to do list for the month. Though I love this time of year, thanks mainly to Christmas carols and white lights, I’ve also got to accept that some Decembers are more December than others. Do you know what I mean?

We got one of those Decembers coming up. Family events colliding with soccer playoffs, varsity sports season, studying for exams and visiting relatives. The high-stakes game of junior year in high school grades combined with the lower stakes reality of my 8th grader applying to high school and juggling 92 school projects simultaneously. My self-imposed work deadlines battling with the pull to celebrate the holidays.

We’ll get through. It will be grand. But today was a good day to take a deep breath and exhale, “December, here we come.”

Related posts:

My Annual Holiday Letter about my Fantastic Life

Random Thoughts on Throwing the Office Christmas Party

Laura December 5, 2011 at 10:12 AM

My December has been nuts so far! My husband is a pastor for 2 small churches that are extremely active–so far this December we have had a Victorian Christmas soup dinner at one church, a soup/chili dinner at the other church and a live nativity coming up this weekend. On top of all the church commitments I have 2 kids in college who are very musically active so after the live nativity at the church on Friday I have to drive 2 hours to a Holiday Gala on Saturday for the kids, and then back 2 hours so we can be at the 2 church services on Sunday! It’s a whirlwind of activities, but we have so much fun being with everyone it is really a joyful time of year.

Paula T December 4, 2011 at 11:46 AM

December completely caught me by surprise this year. I don’t know if it was because we had an almost-record warm November in Massachusetts (after having a “White Halloween” LOL) or because I went back to working part-time then, too. But, when I realized it was December 1st, I was really not ready for that. Usually I at least have all of my holiday lists done by then – the kids’ wish lists ready for relatives who request them, the list of gifts I need to buy for everyone, list of baking and homemade gifts I need to make, etc. And often have at least started some shopping. Luckily I regrouped quickly and at least got my lists done, started designing my holiday card to go out this week and have put shopping time on my to-do list.

December, here I come, too!!

MaryCatherine December 1, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I also realized it was December 1st when I woke up this morning and thought “here we go”! I feel lucky that my family will all be visiting for the holidays but I will be hosting a 14 people sleepover for 4 days!! On top of that they are visiting the week before Christmas so I need to be ready early. I am assuming they will all expect to be fed for 4 days too!!! Not sure where everyone will sleep but I know we will have fun. My son is also finishing college the same weekend and moving out of his apartment at the same time and my daughter is arriving from California for a month long visit. My immediate family is heading to Florida for New Years too. I am optimistic it will all work out if I just plan well and remember to ask for and accept help. Good luck to all of you Santa’s out there!!!

Susan in Iowa November 29, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Hi Lian-

Gosh – I totally get what you are saying, Lian. We just had a November like you describe…staying organized and going to bed early helped me maintain some control through all the craziness! I will be thinking of you:)!

Lian November 29, 2011 at 8:29 AM

Susan, I saw a friend in an ankle- length down coat the other night at a soccer game. DON’T DO IT! This is what Good will is for. Our putting the word out to freinds that you need to “borrow” some cold weather gear.

as for the cruise, enjoy. rock out. and skip the cookie exchange this year.

Lian November 29, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Laurie!!! Let’s Sing. Way to go. Love this. Conversely, I have no dancing performances on the schedule for December. But, I dance for myself in Zumba. Lian

Laurie November 29, 2011 at 2:53 AM

When Lian declared the year of Let’s Dance, I declared (silently to myself) the year of Let’s Sing. I joined church choir and my son joined a new choir, as well. All was great–wonderful music to fill our time. Well, here comes December with MANY concerts! Even some on the same day! It’ll be great but phew, what a December we have coming up. Can’t wait. Let’s Sing!

Beckett Graham November 28, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Long ago, we started the tradition of staying home for Christmas. We stay in our jammies, we eat lasagna, we play with our new toys and watch movies by the fireplace. Sometimes we have guests, but we just throw in more lasagna, more logs on the fire, and get out some extra blankies! It’s as low-key as they come.
Too many years in retail merchandising has led to the habit of being done with my Christmas shopping by Halloween. So the pressure is off, mostly.
We’ve decided to spend one Sunday down at Chris’ commercial kitchen making hundreds of cookies (easy with all the ovens), and those will be our neighbor/coworker/thinking of you gifts this year.
I’m looking at this box of Christmas cards…. but I will probably just put them back in the drawer. Slacktacular!

Cyndi November 28, 2011 at 7:45 PM

“Some Decembers are more December than others. ”

So true. I feel a little guilty when some Decembers creep up quickly and feel so spoken for on the calendar, beyond my control. There are only so many hours/days/weeks in December and sometimes a lot of “important” things beg for attention. So many expectations for one month.

This year, my December feels calm and well paced. I’m looking forward to getting a tree, decorating and baking some Christmas cookies. I will volunteer and give. I will turn my head away from commercials and merchandise with ease … it’s so unneccessary. I’m looking forward to family and love.

Susan Stitt November 28, 2011 at 4:08 PM

My husband and I, and 8 of our close friends are leaving Thursday for a four day cruise to celebrate a bunch of us turning 50 in the next few months. The cruise is full of rock and roll bands, 58 concert will be played in 4 days! (rocklegendscruise.com) It sounded like such a good idea when we made our plans months ago, but now I am having major pre-cruise remorse. December is short enough as it is; now I have four less days to get everything done. As if that weren’t enough, we have a nieces wedding back home in Michigan the week of Christmas. We’ve lived in Georgia for 11 years. None of us have real winter clothing to wear, yet alone, formal wear winter clothing!!!!! My kids were 12, 10 and 5 when we moved here, they are now in college and high school. They don’t have heavy coats, boots, gloves, hats, etc…. I have a long wool coat that I moved down here 11 years ago. Are they still wearing coats down to the ankle? Do you think the lining is still good, or has it rotted away in the Georgia heat and humidity?! Somebody get me a drink with an umbrella in it – QUICK!

Kristin November 28, 2011 at 12:46 PM

As we got home from our 10 day friend’s wedding and Thanksgiving trip of the upper Midwest today, I am simply exhausted by thoughts of December. Perhaps looking forward, along with the mountain of laundry from the trip, unpacking all those bags, and getting ready for work in the morning, I should get off the computer; but this is my way of taking a deep breath and saying, “Bring it!” :)