Winter Formal Confidential: How can they dance in those shoes?

by Lian on December 15, 2011

Attention Mothers of Girls! I need a Girl Gutcheck. What’s the deal with Monster Heels? My son Brookes escorted a lovely young lady to her Winter Formal last weekend. You’ll hear a few details on the podcast about Dances and Driving in the Age of Driving Restriction Laws. Now, I know better than to post the pre-dance pictures I snapped. I value my relationship and his trust! But I thought the women in the Chaos Crew may appreciate the shoes that these (poor) girls were wearing.

If you have teenaged daughters, maybe you’ve fought the battle over these 4-inch heels. But as a card-carrying member of the Clogs For Life movement and a Mother of Boys, I was astounded at these skyscrapers.  Call the Podiatry Society! Do we blame the Kardashians for these, too?

My bunions hurt just looking at these.

Ouch.The smallest toe box in recorded history.

These shoes were declared "not high enough" by the wearer, at "only" 3.5 inches high. Good thing my son is tall!

When I asked how they danced in these heels, one adorable girl said, “Oh, we don’t dance in them. We keep them on for pictures then take them off. ” At least THAT’S sensible!

The Teen Commandments

Happy 16th  Birthday, Son. Please, please… stay safe

Lian December 19, 2011 at 9:13 AM

Susan– You know I’m just having some fun with Iowa! Right? Lian

Susan in Iowa December 18, 2011 at 2:01 PM

Lian-

I beg-your-pardon! I moved to Iowa 4 years ago and the town in which we live I have never seen such beautiful, bright lovely white teeth as I have here in Iowa!!!! Many of the dentists in our town have attended Creighton University and the University of Iowa, of which, both are top dental schools…so yes, in Iowa, we do have our original teeth and excellent dental care!

Leslie December 18, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Aren’t they called “vertigo” heels? Well, that’s how I feel when I see them, esp. on young girls. Lian, I love the new headshot photo!

Laurie December 16, 2011 at 10:12 AM

The little platform under the toes makes the heel not as high as it looks. But I know I’ll never squish my bunions into those.

If they did wear more comfortable shoes, then they could look good for the pictures AND dancing.

taryn rose shoes December 15, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Have aching feet by the end of most days. When it’s winter I don’t even bother taking these off when I get to the office. Warm and comfy. There are times when I’m in bed thinking, “Would I be a crazy person if I put on my boots in bed?” They make my feet feel that good.

Sue in NJ December 15, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Don’t know whom you can blame and glad the fashion was a little different when my daughter was prom-age. Those first gold shoes, though, are gorgeous to look at! So happy the dancing is done barefoot :-)

pat in o.c. December 15, 2011 at 3:16 PM

They do look painful. But, smart girls, take them off to dance.

Your Thanksgiving sounded great. I hope Monica buys that car…it sounded perfect.

Then again, I’m still trying to figure out what a clafouti is. Never heard of it before. Now, I know….Pioneer Woman has a great recipe.

Lian December 15, 2011 at 3:03 PM

I don’t know, Cyndi! Those suits and dress shoes for boys start to add up, especially if they grow out of them every 3 months like mine do!!

I admire these young women for their bravery in the face of fashion. I just don’t have the arch support! Lian

Cyndi December 15, 2011 at 2:24 PM

It’s not only the towering heels, but all of the other costly preparations beyond the dress that make me glad my last is a boy … SO much simpler! It can be a head to toe event with the girls… the hair, the nails, the accessories, the $$$$$… I know you can scale back and keep it simple, but it never seemed to go that way in my house until last year, my son’s first winterball … EASY.

Susan December 15, 2011 at 12:32 PM

Sounds like a bar mitzvah. As soon as you get inside, off go the shoes and on go the footies (socks).

MaryCatherine December 15, 2011 at 11:39 AM

I used to blame Sex in the City but now I guess we can blame the Kardashian’s. I am glad to be over 50 and not a slave to style. I am with you on the clogs! My daughter used to wear high shoes to dances and then change into ballet slippers to dance.

Jane in NH December 15, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Yes blame the Kardashian’s . Yikes !!!