Monday Morning To Do List: Holiday Letter; Rose Parade; and Mission Impossible

by Lian on December 19, 2011

My big brother, Batman Brendan, celebrated his 50th birthday.

Good Monday, Chaos Crew! I survived two holiday parties and a surprise birthday party and can still button my pants, so I feel a sense of accomplishment already this Monday morning. And, the  pink eye has cleared up and the swelling from my root canal is down, so I look familiar to myself in the mirror. What more could a mom ask for on the Monday before Christmas.

Here’s what’s on my To Do List this week:

Holiday Letter I vowed in 2008 to write an annual holiday letter to family and friends. I enjoy the Holiday Letter, both writing and reading others,  but somehow, I feel off my own bandwagon. My “tradition” last one year and ever since, I’ve been wracked by guilt at letters not sent Yes, and a thick sense of irony that the writer can’t manage to write a holiday letter. (I have written some for the blog. Click here to see last year’s letter.) Today, I write that letter! Tomorrow, I stick’em in the mail!

Rose Parade Coverage for HGTV.com A few weeks ago, I mentioned on the Satellite Sisters podcast that I had the opportunity to pitch some ideas to the people at HGTV. I was invited to “crowd” pitch, with HGTV hearing back-to-back pitches in ten minute intervals from all manners of designers ( floral, handbag,home, graphic, food)  in Los Angeles. And me. Knowing I had no real design cred, I pitched myself as an insider on the Rose Parade to bolster HGTV’s stellar coverage of the Rose Parade. Friday, I got a gig writing a column for this website. Totally worth the cost of the blow-out and the drive to Venice for the pitch! So, I’m working on that this week. Thanks to those of you who bombarded HGTV with comments! I think it actually worked.

Movie Week We are miserably behind on our movie-going thanks to weekends full of soccer and family events. But that changes this afternoon. Colin and I are off to MI:Ghost Protocol later today. And, we’re psyched for Hugo, Sherlock Holmes and War Horse. If Moneyball is still playing somewhere, we’re going to that, too!

What’s on your To Do List this week? Holiday Chaos? Or Holiday Calm?

Need to find the Recipes from early December ? Click here to find them all on the makinglifebetter.com Facebook page.

Don’t forget, there’s still time to sign up for the 31 Days of Confection Perfection newsletter. Great holiday desserts and a chance to win a stand mixer. All the technical kinks have been worked out, so those of you waiting for recipes should now be receiving them. If you want to find the recipes from early December, click here to find the link on the makinglifebetter.com Facebook page. Thanks, makinglifebetter.com for supporting the Chaos Chronicles Podcast and Website.

gilles December 22, 2011 at 3:54 AM

Is the Rose Parade really on Monday? Our college has to be back at work. I’m sure a bunch of people will be watching on monitors rather than working.

Professor Alan December 20, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Keep us posted on the HGTV gig — put a link here wqhen you post over there, so we can add awesome comments about you over there!

Kristin December 20, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Being that I am without a kitchen (damn water leak), the chaos that is Christmas week will be taken up with another meeting with the contractor, plenty of Pirates movies with the kid who has bronchitis (feels like when they were little I am so sleep deprived), and trying to keep Santa alive for both kids. Lots of yucky, intense stuff the last few weeks, just want them to hold on to their innocence.

Lian, I made the Peanut Butter fudge from the 31 days emails….. I am in LOVE. So amazing yummy and so easy! :)

Lian December 20, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Joanne– I’m excited about that float! It’s the 100th anniversary- an they picked all these local Girl Scouts to ride on it! very exciting.

I made it about 6 months in the Girl Scouts myself ( too many crafts form our leader!) but I’ve always admired the organization. Lian

Joanne December 20, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Lian, The Girl Scouts are going to have a float for the first time this year in the Rose Bowl Parade. They have were you can donate $5 and virtually ride the float. They will put your name on flower. Great way to ride a float if you don’t get named a princess this year. =)

Here is the link if anybody is interested: http://www.girlscoutsla.org/pages/events/Support_the_Girl_Scout_Float.html

Linda Sue December 19, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Sorry for the bad grammar, it’s late on the east coast. “your”, another sigh…

Linda Sue December 19, 2011 at 8:21 PM

You haven’t been to see The Muppet Movie yet? Have been waiting for you’re review. Yes, I still feel guilty from at least three or four Christmas’ past as our letter isn’t. Sigh…

mari (Bookworm with a View) December 19, 2011 at 7:27 PM

First, great photo!

I ordered our cards in October… still haven’t sent them out (I need stamps). Maybe tomorrow??

Congratulations on the Rose Parade gig. I can’t wait to read it, comment, like, etc… :)

I haven’t seen my son since August. He comes home tomorrow (woohoo) and happens to be my movie buddy. I hope to see a few with him over the holiday’s.

Have a wonderful Christmas Lian.