My Annual Holiday Letter About My Fabulous Life 2011

by Lian on December 21, 2011

Greetings to Family, friends and Ryan Gosling …

What a whirlwind year we had in 2011! We ate, we drank, we danced. We watched untold hours of soccer and The Simpsons. We even re-did the bathroom With Our Bare Hands. About the only thing we didn’t manage to squeeze in was a run for the Republican nomination. But, there’s still a week left, who knows if one of us might jump in? Get on the bus, kids, we’re going to Iowa.

I’ll start with my perfect children because, honestly, there’s not much to say when every day is a joy and every night is a feeding frenzy. Having two teen-aged boys in the house means never having to say you’re sorry… when you tell them shower because they stink.  But surely by the time they are ready for those Ivy League interviews, they’ll have washed or Hell will have frozen over, the cold  rendering the odor indistinguishable. But I don’t worry about their future because they have  charm in spades.  No matter how many times I remind them to turn off the bathroom light, they leave it on. How charming is that?

And, while being parents is the Most Fulfilling Human Endeavor Possible, at least that’s what I chant to myself when I’m doing a mountain of laundry, occasionally my husband Berick and I feel the need to take a break from our bliss and work for a bit. You know, for the sheer thrill of it and to pay the electric bill. Berick takes his “work break” about 14 hours a day. With that kind of time for personal growth, let’s hope the economy nevers recovers. Wouldn’t want to deprive my man of his passion! Those aren’t wrinkles; those are laugh lines, Babe.

As for me, I have no complaints about my work in 2011. Seriously, not one. except maybe that chicken salad I ordered back in May. (Too many Mandarin oranges, not enough almonds.) I wrote a TV pilot, went on a book tour, did 41 podcasts, countless blog posts, and managed to blow dry my own hair about 87 times. Thanks to all who showed up, purchased, listened, read and complimented me on my Diane Keaton haircut. Truth is, 2011 was such a hit, I’m scared of 2012. Part of me hopes the Mayans ARE right, because I can’t top this year.

Over the holiday, my family plans to throw a few logs on the fire, eat popcorn and sing lots of carols. Or maybe, we’ll just gather around that island in the kitchen and eat chips straight out of the bag. Either way, it will be perfect, because that’s the way we are!

Related Posts:

Holiday Letter 2010

Holiday Letter 2009

pat in o.c. December 24, 2011 at 7:09 AM

Merry Christmas. Feliz Navidad. To a healthy, happy, blessed 2012!

Ann December 23, 2011 at 4:42 PM

I listened today while in the jam packed grocery store. (ick) I like your idea for Christmas eve, and I hope you have my friends great “do ahead mashed potato” recipe. You can do it a few days ahead, and refrigerate, and then serve them in the crockpot. Very helpful!

Ann December 23, 2011 at 10:20 AM

You did it! The holiday letter! And wow, you did a lot of other things too.
Great year. Thanks for making me laugh through my chores and grocery shopping! I always enjoy my time with the Chaos crew.

Kelly December 22, 2011 at 8:02 PM

After that letter…. can’t wait for LA Bestseller #2. Merry Christmas!

nashgal December 22, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Thank you Lian for a wonderful letter. I loved Helen this year and looked forward to your podcast each week. Many many thanks for the laughs you brought me in 2011. Merry Christmas!

CLSD OPEN December 22, 2011 at 7:34 AM

Love your letter again, Lian – all of us can totally relate to your life as a busy mom. Thanks for all the podcasts, links, laughs, Helen, etc—I hope 2012 is a fantastic year for you and the entire Chaos Crew! Happy Holidays, everyone!

Kristin December 22, 2011 at 5:03 AM

As always, great letter. Have a wonderful holiday! :)

Leah Rempel December 21, 2011 at 11:46 PM

Gosh, if I didn’t have scruples, I’d steal that letter and fill in my own personal data and send it to everyone I know. Always a pleasure, Lian. You don’t need to top anyone other than yourself, but, you’re right; that could be tough after the bang up year you’ve had. Just have fun instead and enjoy the ride!

Best from Hong Kong,
Leah

PS: If you ever need a fill-in Satellite Sister, I’m your gal. I’ll even get up in the middle of the night to Skype with you all!

Jennifer Glazier December 21, 2011 at 8:56 PM

What a great letter Lian, your children and husband will read this and know that you truly love them and need them. I hope 2012 is as successful as 2011 was for you. I cannot wait for you to finish the second book so you can visit MN during another book tour.

Have a safe and Happy Holiday!!

-Jennifer

yvonne madvig December 21, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Fabulous letter, Lian. You had me laughing all the way through. Thanks for all the fun you shared in 2011. Wishing you more of the same in 2012.

Cyndi December 21, 2011 at 6:02 PM

If our families were only perfect … that would be a little scary! Actually, your accomplishments are pretty darn amazing so congratulations for all you’ve conquered, achieved and realized. Time to take a breath!

And Ryan Gosling? Yes, please.

gilles December 21, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Happy Solstice!

Sounds like you have holidays nailed.