11 Signs You’re Ready for Season 2 of Downton Abbey

by Lian on January 7, 2012

Ah, the wonder of it all. The hats, the accents, the drama, the forbidden embraces, all those servants to do your housework. It’s must be Downton Abbey. Season 2 of Downton Abbey starts Sunday, January 8th after months and months of waiting. In preparation, I’ve done many tasks, including re-watching all of Season 1. I’ve also prepared in many other ways, as I’m sure you have, too. I believe I’m ready for World War 1. Are you?

11 Signs You’re Ready for Season 2 of Downton Abbey

You refer to your checking account as “the entail.”

You completed a correspondence course in typing.

You blame Daisy when you burn dinner.

You count the wine bottles in your “storeroom,” otherwise known as that wooden rack from Ikea.

You sneer in your best Irish brogue, “It’s like a banshee!” whenever the phone rings.

You insist your children refer to you as “Milady” or “My Lord.”

You believe your roses will win Best Bloom at the flower show.

You announce to no one as you walk into a room, “The Dowager Countess.”

You hum the compelling piano- and- string theme music when you fold the laundry.

You call your unpleasant neighbor “Thomas” and his ne’er –do- well dog “O’Brien.”

You dress for dinner. Naturally.

carol January 12, 2012 at 5:38 AM

Just watched it and sure enough they announced ‘the dowager countess’ as she entered a room. I burst out laughing!

Cran January 10, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Thanks, Lian, for mentioning DA several weeks ago. I sat down at 3:00 last Sunday afternoon to check out the first episode and ended up watching six hours of it. Had to abandon dinner plans and beg my husband to get take-out. Am looking forward to season 2.

Have you seen The Tudors? It’s a lot less genteel and lots gorier but very enjoyable.

Brenna January 9, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I’ll admit it: I did put on my pearls and fresh lipstick to watch in my New Jersey living room.

Lian January 8, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Rachel– YOU are practically the star of DA with your association to Thomas. Excellent insights. Lian

Debbie in MD January 8, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Just checked and all 7 episodes for Season 1 are on Netflix streaming. I was so pleased to find this out as I started the series when it came out but chaos overwhelmed me and I never finished. Then they had a marathon this weekend here in DC but did not have all the episodes.

Do I’ll be dressing not for dinner but for Netflix…

Kim January 8, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I have my DVR set, and I will probably save it until tomorrow when all my kids are at school. I don’t want anyone to interrupt me while I get lost in the joy that is Downton Abbey!

Rachel January 8, 2012 at 9:10 AM

It was aired here, in the UK, in November, but we saved it up and watched it marathon-style over Christmas. Oh, what a treat you are in for.

Don’t worry – I won’t plot spoil.

Series two is even more enjoyable because it is so (unintentionally?) funny. It has morphed into a very different beast. But as long as you are prepared to just hand yourself over to it, it really doesn’t matter. It is tremendously enjoyable. Warped genius. Our favourite parts were the many occasions when something “Arrived In The Evening Post”. I defy you to keep a straight face.

I guess it goes, “oink, oink” and smells of H.A.M. But we all love a bit of ham, don’t we? Or at least, Countess Dolan of Pasadena and her mother, Countess Dolan of Santa Monica (? – sketchy on my modern history) certainly do.

The cast is superb though.

And I would simply rather die, than boast (cough), but I was Rob James-Collier’s (Thomas) English teacher for the last four years of his schooling! Lovely boy.

Jennifer in Bel Air January 8, 2012 at 6:25 AM

A co-worker and I have a lunchtime discussion of the episode planned for tomorrow and we made each other promise not to talk about it before then, else our morning’s work will suffer. I hum the theme music while grocery shopping.

mari (Bookworm with a View) January 8, 2012 at 6:08 AM

woohoo, I’m downloading the episode to watch on a midweek flight. I can’t wait for season 2.

Have you watched Lady Chatterly on Netflix? I’m enjoying it (I didn’t realize it was a mini-series). It takes an episode to really get into but it’s good while you are waiting for a new episode of DA.

Love the costumes in DA!

carol w in IL January 8, 2012 at 1:09 AM

OR: You ring the bell for supper to be served.
You start practicing your English accent when no one’s listening.
You want to wear a big fancy hat.
You run around like crazy to get everything done and tell everyone to be quiet cause your show’s coming on.
You practice your curtsey.
You dream about living in ye olde England.
You make your kids call you ma’ma.

Aine McCormack January 7, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Love it…thanks!

Brenna January 7, 2012 at 7:46 PM

and another thing, why is it that we don’t dress for dinner. putting this on my to do list.

Kathy in Atlanta January 7, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Lian, especially like the idea of announcing to no one in particular, “The Dowager Countess.” We have two PBS stations here and they have been having Season I marathons every week during the holidays. I feel like I can lipsinc every episode. Do you think they can resurrect Mr. Pamouk? Wishful thinking. [did you notice the actress who plays Edith had a bit part in "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" - when Guillam checks into the file room?]

Brenna January 7, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Oh Lian, I just watched the last two episodes last Sunday night, never having watched Season One. Now I can’t wait for Season Two to start! I will be implementing all your suggestions in my home!

michelle waite January 7, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Just a bit more than 24 hours! I am glad it is on when my kids and husband are asleep, so I can focus and not feel guilty that I am neglecting some responsibility around the house.
I want to get some books from the library to learn how to make hats like the Lady Dowager wears. They are too fantastic for words.