Random Thoughts on the Golden Globes

by Lian on January 15, 2012

Stuck on the couch with a wicked head cold, I find myself watching The Golden Globes, something I never, ever do. So, it seems like the perfect opportunity for some real time Random Thoughts. It will give me something to do during the acceptance speeches. Here we go. Globers:

Five minutes of Red Carpet coverage reinforces why I never watch Red Carpet coverage. Some reported just claimed she was having “fashion sex” with Bryan Cranston.

REESE!

Wow, NOBODY is laughing at Ricky Gervais. And Elton John really, really doesn’t like him. If looks could kill…

The world needs more Captain Von Trapp.

These are the worst intros and the worst acceptance speeches of all time. Is this the norm?

Why even show up if Kate Winslet is in your category?

Now, Melissa McCarthy looks like she wants kill Ricky Gervais after second defacating joke. Tina Fey is in line behind her.

Thumbs up, Channing Tatum, Gerard Butler and Brad Pitt.

Thumbs up, Jessica Alba, Michele Williams and Frida Pinto’s yellow diamond necklace.

I wish we got Showtime. Saw one episode of Homeland, then got shut out. Damian Williams is an ACTOR.

Kenneth Branaugh! Good to see you, buddy.

Drew Barrymore’s whale movie looks horrible.  Smash looks fab.

Dustin Hoffman is SO bored.

It always shocks me when performers like Madonna, who perform in front of thousands, can’t spit out two words in an acceptance speeches. Mad Dog, whattup? But, Holy Cow, she looks amazing.

Downton Abbey– whoop, whoop. But Lord Gratham looks 20 years less stuffy!

I asked my son if he thought I looked like Jodie Foster- cuz people have been telling me that since I was 12– and he howled. Could it be the chapped face and glasses I’m sporting?

But clearly, Jodie’s sons are a miracle. From the looks of the two of them, she is both the mother and the father.

Up next, the Jodie Foster Haircut?

Wow, nobody is having “fashion sex” with Nicole Kidman in that Barbarella get-up. I feel sorry for her pint-sized hubby. Ouch.

Finally, Clare Dane’s gets off a good speech. Not sure about the red lipstick, but tribute to mom and dad was excellent.

Matt La Blanc, way to be funny, charming and humble. Nice moment.

Followed by a genuine moment by Octavia Butler. It’s nice ot see new faces make it into the Big League.

I happened to be in a waiting room at CBS this fall and Octavia Butler was there, too. When she checked in with the receptionist, who had probably graduated from Stanford, the receptionist broke into tears, telling her about her mother and grandmother who had both been domestics in the South. She kept telling the lovely Octavia how much her performance had meant to her.  It was a very touching moment at 4 pm on a Tuesday, just like tonight.

Elton John, still not having a good time.

REESE!!!

I don’t care if Woody won. Still Boycotting movie .

Sidney Poitier. Stud.

Helen MIrren’s bit isn’t working.

But love seeing the Morgan Freeman clips, especially the Electric Company.

Finally, a smile from Elton John.

Now, Angelina Jolie can pull off that red lipstick.

My husband just came in from re-doing the front yard landscaping at 7:30 pm. (Details on podcast)

High concept speech by Modern Family actress and creator. Way to go. Finally a ‘written speech,’ not a list of meaningless names. See, people? Writers make everything better.

I find the Cheers music on the Allstate commercial very disconcerting.

Mark Wahlberg, wake up! Jessica Beil, lose the dress!

French people keep winning. I think it’s time to go back to Freedom Fries. Are you with me?

Tilda Swinton. Actress from another planet.

Why even bother showing up when Meryl Streep is in your category?

Jane Fonda wins whatever contest she thinks she’s entered in.

Formidable.

Alyssa GF January 16, 2012 at 5:02 PM

That Modern Family bit was the funniest part of the show. It made me wish I had actually learned something from my three years of Spanish.

Cyndi January 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Funny ramblings Lian! I caught some of the awards … I thought Ricky Gervais was only mildly amusing … wondering if some of the camera shots and editing were deliberate – his lines followed by dead pan reactions or mild digust was pretty evident.

I agree with Jan – couldn’t tell if Angelina’s arms just LOOKED anorexic or if it was the lighting. Kind of disturbing, but I agree with, she can pull off the red lipstick!

Loved the tribute to Morgan Freeman – he’s pretty amazing.

Jan January 16, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Great random thoughts. I am sure you could write some pretty funny lines for those presenters! Angelina needs to cover up her arms. She looks almost anorexic or she is starving herself to death. What’s the deal there? Brad did look very proud when they cut to him.

Michele January 16, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Unless I missed it, I don’t think you mentioned anything about Meryl Streep’s acceptance speech. What was going on there? At first I thought she was being her usual wonderfully unassuming self. I know that she forgot her glasses, and that’s a problem when you are trying to read a teleprompter, but shouldn’t a skilled actress like Ms. Streep do a better job? Anyway, she is still one of my favorites, and I was happy to see her win.
I am happy to see that you think “Smash looks fab”. I am proud to say that my daughter, Valerie, is the assistant choreographer on that show. I saw a screening of the pilot last week, and I definitely think that it will live up to it’s name:)

yvonne madvig January 16, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Thanks, Lian, for your very humorous comments on the Golden Globes. I might have watched if I’d realized they were on but reading your commentary made me feel like I had. Hope you feel better soon! Thanks for the laughs.

Kristin January 16, 2012 at 5:15 AM

Well summarized. I watched a bit as my 9 yo is in love with the fancy dresses, but found it a real challenge to explain to her why so many were so thin!

chpdlivr January 16, 2012 at 5:10 AM

William Macy and Felicity Huffman did a good job singing their intro…..probably thanks to writers, too!!

Enjoyed your random thoughts!

Sue in NJ January 15, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I don’t watch Golden Globes but you amused me :-) And I’m glad to be in the boycott Woody club!

Jan B January 15, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I was laughing so hard at your thoughts about Jodi Foster’s children my husband came in to check on me.

angi January 15, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I was thinking the same things about Jodie Foster’s darling boys, Jessica Biel’s horrid dress, Elton John’s sour looks, and how writers truly deserve all the kudos. I thought that I was the only person who wouldn’t support Woody Allen, even though my boycott clearly isn’t hurting him and all my friends said that I would love love love Midnight in Paris. So glad to have someone else on my tiny boycott boat! Mainly, it was a mind-numbingly boring show. I’m glad that my kids are studying for finals and it’s raining, so I didn’t really have a much better way to spend my evening.

Christina from MN January 15, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Love your random thoughts Lian! Thanks. :-)

Josette Budde January 15, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Lian, Great post as usual. Found myself agreeing with and laughing at the same points you made. Have a great week & feel better soon…:-)