Chaos Chronicles 502: College Admissions; The Golden Globes and Paula Deen

by Lian on January 19, 2012

LOOKING For THIS WEEK’S CHAOS CHRONICLES AND CAN’T FIND IT? DID YOU RE-SUBSCRIBE TO ITUNES?  You’ll need to resubscribe to  the “clean” version of The Chaos Chronicles at iTunes to keep getting the show automatically. Thanks.

On the Chaos Chronicles podcast 502 this week College Admissions; The Golden Globes and Paula Deen. And…. I’m bringing back the concepts of “guests!’ Yes, indeed. After three years of  talking to myself, I’m inviting a few people into the closet with me. It may get a little crowded in there– but it adds to the Chaos, doesn’t it?

Click here for more from Dr. Nancy Berk on College admissions or to find a copy of her book

College Bound and Gagged. Got a high schooler? Then you can’t escape the impending doom of college admissions. But dont’ get crazy, get Dr. Nancy Berk’s new book College Bound and Gagged. Dr. Berk is a clinical psychologist, a mom AND a stand-up comic. She’s also managed to get two kids into college. So, who better to write a practical, information-filled but funny guide to college admissions. As I start my journey, er, I mean my second-semester Junior year son starts his journey, Nancy Berk is the prefect person to talk me down off the ledge and point me in the right directions. To read more about Nancy Berk, College Bound and Gagged or her podcast Whine at Nine, click here.

psst… I was a guest on Nancy’s podcast last week. Click here to listen Episode 74- Juggling Acts.

Lian January 23, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Ma Schmidt… I am going to copy and paste your response on a small prayer card and keep it in my wallet.

I agree, too. I went to a small liberal arts school that was fairly no name at the time . (My college counselor in Connecticut had never heard of Pomona). Great professors, tiny classes, study abroad, palm trees– but not much street cred on the East Coast. Did it matter? No, not at all.

But sometimes we all get swept up in the hysteria of it all. That’s why I was actually relieved to get the Princeton Review of colleges . There are literally a million! Most of which nobody’s ever “heard of.”

One thing I know for sure, coming out of any college with a $100,000 is debt is CRAZY. CRAZY.

I can see this will be a fertile topic! Thanks for the feedback. Feel free to talk me down off the ledge when you hear me going crazy.

Professor Alan January 23, 2012 at 8:48 AM

As a tenured professor of a mid-ranked state school in the Midwest, let me “amen” everything ma schmidt said.

ma schmidt January 23, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Hey Lian!

Loved the show — here are my thoughts as a) a midwesterner b) someone who went to a GREAT and unknown college (Earlham College) and c) a professor at a school rated by USNews as “an A+ school for B+ students”

a) If people are judgemental, they aren’t worth your time…let them live their lives of quiet desperation….as Holden Caulfield would have said “you don’t need Phonies”

b) There are a MILLION great schools, only about 8 have a “big” name, 30 have a “almost big” name, etc…..AND, there’s NO saying that the teaching, learning and peers there will be good. My friends who went to Harvard and mostly teaching-assistants as their Prof’s were too busy being important Harvard profs.

c) Having gone to a small, unknown school, I found the disadvantage was only int he first few years out — the alumni circle was less powerful – so whereas my friends who went to Harvard, Brown, Stanford started in entry-level positions, my friends from Earlham were secretaries and worked our ways up….but after 2-3 years, it was all our quality, not the name of our school. Also, when people had heard of my school, it earned me extra points because they knew its worth and value (and probably new I wasn’t a “phoney!”

d) LOTS of very smart people are professors and can’t all get jobs at those “important big schools.” Dare I say, there are outstanding professors even at community colleges and small, unknown schools. In fact, I think you’re MORE likely to get a good professor at a “less important” school that cares about teaching more than CV’s/Publishing (I’m biased)

e) Probably the best thing for a kid will be not to be laden with debt,…being debt-free will go a LOT further than the name of an “important big school”

chpdlivr January 23, 2012 at 4:06 AM

My first thought when you started talking about college admissions and any tips we might have: There’s a college for every kid. Yea, I know, easy to say now that my only is 3 years out of college. That being said, I went to a college I’d never get into now with the high school grades I had. Scary!!!

Thanks for taking us along on this journey……I can’t believe your oldest in a junior! I remember when you talked about the high school decision!

Guests on the podcast? Cool idea!!

mari (Bookworm with a View) January 21, 2012 at 9:35 AM

College admissions… This was a fun/challenging year with our son. We researched many, creating the ‘what’s important’ list, road trips, essays, etc… it’s so hard to decide with some many choices.

Confession: We hired someone to work with our son to write his essays. It was the most beneficial thing we did. I wasn’t proofing, suggesting etc… he still talks about how helpful she was, and still uses her tips today.

I can’t wait to follow your experience from the parent view, compared to your college admission days.

Good Luck!

Lian January 20, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Jan– everything is there now. I am uploading the show myself now– and there are a few steps I need to work out the kinks on. Lian

Jan January 20, 2012 at 7:32 AM

I thought I posted this on FB but it isn’t showing up there.
I went to download podcast #502 and it isn’t showing up on the download page.
I only download the pods from your site. I don’t have a smart phone, and don’t use iTunes for personal reasons. This is the only way I can get Chaos Chronicles and SS pods.
Any ideas?