Do the Work Wednesday #1

by Lian on January 31, 2012

I announced it on the podcast so it must be so: Every Wednesday in 2012, we’ll discuss our Do the Work goals. (You know, if you want and there seems to be some sustained interest!)

This Wednesday, I’m doing the work at the ltdLIVE Conference, learning all kids of tips and tools to make BIG, BIG, BIG things happen. But that doesn’t mean Chaos Crew memeber who want to join in the groupthink can’t add a comment and tell us what Do the Work means to you.

If you’ve picked another theme for 2012, by all means, share! We inspire each other.

Embrace the Chaos, Lian

Roberta February 6, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I love this idea. I’m the type of person who doesn’t need motivation or help focusing when it comes to work / career related endeavors. Instead, I struggle making time and making progress in my personal / social life so I’m going to try my best to stop my personal life from becoming just a long To Do List that I never get through and instead focus my energy on two key areas……
1) Organize my financial life

We do I feel like I’m not alone with this one. Don’t we all wish we were better at or paid more attention to our long-term financial health.

2) Expand my social circle

I’m hoping to expand my social circle through volunteerism, joining hiking and tennis clubs and signing up fun evening classes like cooking.

My fingers are crossed. My hope is that by putting this out there into the cyber-universe that it will motivate me to keep moving.
Thank you Lian for organizing and following through on this great idea and helping to keep us motivated.
Best of luck to everyone on your goals.

Ma Schmidt February 4, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Well, I’m late, but on board! I’ve got to start publishing for promotion and tenure (I’m in the second year of the job) and it’s daunting but I know I can do it! Also – I’m taking on the 30 pounds I’ve gained in the last 12 years. Joined the Y and WeightWatchers….so, with y’all as my witness, I’ll post my progress here. This week: a pre-test for a course I’m doing some action research on. And I contacted a stats prof to get one of his students to help me crunch the data….I can do this, right?!

William J. February 3, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I love reading what everyone’s theme is and what they plan to accomplish.

After ten years of caring for an elderly parent, either a mom or a dad, I decided that I need to dial it back and let my sister take over more. This is an area where I need to give up control. My theme for 2012 is Play more, write more.

I have a novel about 50% finished. It is based on one of my lawyer brother’s cases that caused him to temporarily leave the law and move to Jackson, Wyoming to become a hunting and fishing guide.

I made a goal when I started to write Searching For Justice to write it as an accomplishment and as a family healing project. I’m not writing it for publication. It is time to finish it.

PS

Patty S. I also had a terrible fear of public speaking. I took a comedy class put on by Comedy Sportz (they have locations everywhere) and it was one of the best thins I ever did. Certainly helped with that fear. It was the best $190 I ever spent!

Mary Malinconico February 3, 2012 at 5:53 AM

I can’t do Wednesdays but I am going to commit to Monday. On Mondays, I am going to dedicate Mondays to networking and finding new freelance clients!

patty s February 2, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Sign me up!

My goal for 2012 was to accessorize. Sounds crazy, but I have never been one to wear more than a ring and a watch. I am having a lot of fun finding necklaces, earrings, and scarves. I haven’t bought any scarves yet, but I’ll get there.

I also have a major fear of public speaking. I will be giving a presentation this spring (and submitted proposals for two others) at the corporate headquarters for the software I support. (Cyndi, I’m an RN and now work in IT–one of the great things about nursing is there is SO much a nurse can do!) When I hit the “send” button for my first submission, I honestly was thinking “let ‘er rip”!

Adrian, good for you. I’d say that decision was a lot of work! Best of luck to you!

I also decided to LEAVE facebook–I couldn’t handle the idea of seeing things from the past, even if much of it was good, every time I logged in. I am finding that I have far more time each and every day!

Beckett Graham February 2, 2012 at 2:36 PM

There is a deadline for a major grant next January. This week, to work toward my goal of GETTING HOLD OF IT, I am going to print out the 30 page application.
And probably buy a new ink cartridge first, honestly. Baby steps!

Lian February 2, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I find these comments fantastically motivating. Thanks for playing along. I hope you found that writing down your goals (or areas that need improvement) was itself a giant step forward. You each mention something that is pretty hard– overcoming medical residual effects, schooling challenges, ultra marathons. but I like the action plans that many of you have in place already.

Okay, let’s see where we can take this. I’m no life coach, people. But I think there is a “community support” approach we can take. So let’s all think on that.

In the meantime, stay focused. Lian

Kristin February 2, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Trying to maintain my fitness mojo, because it protects my sanity. But for real, Wednesday and every day lately for me to “Do the Work” is all about whatever I can do to market my new private practice. The day job is wearing me out big time, but I continue to be hopeful that all will move quickly for me to get to a place where I can make a real difference.

Mari February 2, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Love posts like this, it’s great to see what others are doing. It’s inspiring!

I know this is for the week ahead but background is needed for my insantiy… I have been in a rut for almost a year, last fall I decided to ‘take my life back’. Hold on… it’s going to be a crazy/fun/adventurous year!

I’m doing a similar post on my blog, on Tuesday’s. I call it ‘checkpoint’, the purpose is specific, a progress check for training for two running events coming up (March Ultramarathon, May Tough Mudder) and to cheer others on with thier weekly achievements.

Other than fitness stuff, I’m taking a night class (first class towards a phD in Literature) and preparing for a fall adventure of a lifetime (climbing one of the seven summits)! Did I really just write that? yes, it’s true! This explains why I’m exhausted… all. the. time.

Good luck writing! I, like so many others, can’t wait to read your next novel. It’s so much fun following along as you go through this process.

Time for a quick nap, a run, and shopping for tomorrow’s Brazilian themed dinner for 14.

LeAnn February 2, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Lian thanks so much for finding a way to support each of us in Do the Work or not. My husband recently had a heart attack and there are so many changes to our life. All is going well with his health. I just need to get a hold of the extra bills, menus, Dr. appointments, and medications to name just a few. I just need to get the Work at least started!

Cyndi February 2, 2012 at 6:25 AM

I’m taking classes right now as prerequistes to an accelerated direct entry nursing program – challenging, nerve wracking and enjoyable on any given day. I think everyone is familiar with a syllabus – the outline given at the beginning of a course stating goals and objective of the course followed by a calendar of weekly assignments, quizzes, tests for each topic. I look at these in amazement because I scan the topics and see an end date and wonder how on earth I will master that information by a given date. The key is, you are accountable for getting it done, no excuses before moving on to the next topic. You have no choice but to keep up without consequence. At the end of the course, you see that perseverance pays off.

It occurred to me this semester that if I applied the syllabus approach to other goals in my life, I could achieve them by strict end dates if I mapped out the steps week by week and stuck with it. Mapping out bigger goals in three month segments seems reasonable even if the goals are divided into smaller chunks and worked on over the course of the year.

I will check in on Wednesdays … hey wait a minute, it’s Thursday! Oh well, I will be back on track next week. Like I always tell my kids, it’s better to keep up than catch up.

Good luck to everyone working on their goals!

t3zoo February 1, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Right this minute, unfortunately, it means I have to get up out of this chair and do some laundry. … Hope to post something more inspirational next week!

Shary February 1, 2012 at 7:18 AM

I was so glad you chose Do the Work as your theme for the year. It’s what I need to do. I spent 6 years writing my first novel and it’s now under my bed. I’ve started working on a new novel and I’d love to finish it faster. I’d also love it to be publishable, but that’s another story. It won’t go anywhere if I don’t write it. So far… so good.

Adrian February 1, 2012 at 7:14 AM

It’s Wednesday, Lian, and I’ve decided to not do the work. Here’s my story: I finished a historical fiction novel and sent it to a publisher last fall. I found a perfect publisher who was enthusiastic and emotional about my book. She suggested that I rewrite the book as a children’s novel. After much deliberation on my part, I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m not going to do the work. I’m not going to rewrite my novel to fit an audience that it wasn’t written for. I believe that the story would work as a youth book, but I’m going to let someone else write that one. At the risk of everything, I’ve decided to stay true to my vision. Whew! I said it!

Lesley in MN February 1, 2012 at 5:58 AM

Lian,

I am on board for Do The Work Wednesdays in 2012! Today…writing, writing, writing, and some more writing. Not fiction, but research manuscripts. Then, a some important Do The Work teaching.