Random Thoughts on the Grammy Awards, Adele and “Deep” Emotions

by Lian on February 13, 2012

Of all the awards show, I love the Grammys best. The awards are bogus sometimes, but the show is the best. And, you know why? Because the Grammys don’t give out every freakin’ award on the show. Just the biggies with lots of performances. Good call, Grammy. So, here we go:

Best Moments: Jennifer Hudson’s song; Adele’s tears; and Taylor Swift’s stunned expression at her well-deserved standing ovation.

Lowest Moments: Chris Brown’s graceless thank you speech and whatever that Nicki Minaj number was.

LL Cool J now joins Hugh Jackman and Neil Patrick Harris in the elite circle of  Men Who Can Host Anything.

And, he totally pulled off that prayer in the beginning to Sister Whitney.

I see politicians lining up to grab Bruce Springsteen’s new anthem “We Take Care of our Own” for their own anthem for the election. Except so few of them actually do.

You’d think after all these years, Bruce could afford to buy Little Stevie his own mic.

I know it’s great to have Adele back, but can we take a second to praise Bonnie Raitt?  Wow, talk about sounding great. Loved the Alicia and Bonnie tribute to Etta James.

I don’t know how Lady Gaga sat there all night with that fishnet on her face. It was making MY skin crawl.

Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters is the world’s nicest rocker. But I’m not sure everybody in the house appreciated his comments about “real”  music vs. computers. Like the dance deejays he performed with ten minutes later who riled up the crowds just as much as the Foos.

The Beach Boys tribute didn’t work on any level. Adam Levine looked bored and the poor Foster the People hipster look terrified. And, I’m not sure The Beach Boys even spoke to each other during rehearsal.

Words I never thought I’d type: Rhinestone Cowboy made me cry. Way to go, Glen Campbell.

Rhianna killed. KILLED! Then Coldplay showed up and that was a downer.

I feel nothing for Chris Martin. Not a single flicker of Rock Star Crush. But at least Gwyneth didn’t sing.

Loved Fergie’s dress. Maybe she’ll let me borrow it for a black tie event I have to emcee in June.

No hard feelings, Sir Paul, but I think Diana Krall should have sung your “new standard.”

Still, the guy has a rockin’ head of hair.

Who are The Civil Wars? Will Google later.

Adele deserved every award she won.

Bruno Mars appeared to be the only person in the house that didn’t know Adele was going to  win everything.

Every show should end with a Beatle.

Your thoughts…?

Related Posts:

Random Thoughts on the Golden Globes

Adrian February 21, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Lian,

Thanks for standing up against Chris Brown. A few months ago, my teenage daughter said to me, “Get over it, Mom. Even Rihanna has forgiven him.” I told her what he did was reprehensible and he has the audacity to be indignant about the flak he received for it?! I’m glad to know that there are others out there. I don’t feel so alone.

Linda Sue February 16, 2012 at 1:38 PM

With you, Sister on all counts. The Glen Campbell piece on Sunday Morning was excellent. his Farewell Tour band are three of his kids and they watch out for him. Very touching. Saw those two girls texting during Rhinestone cowboy. Wanted to go into educator mode and snatch the phones out of their hands and put them into a desk drawer for claiming after class.

Jennifer was brilliant in a very tough spot. Love Adele. saw her for the first time on Sunday Morning show and have been her fan through both albums. Did you notice that she came out and sang the first few bars acapella so that we all could hear her voice. Bravo Adele, but please take care of it.

Janet February 14, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I absolutely LOVE your Random Thoughts. Agree about Bonnie, pleased for both Adele and Jennifer Hudson. What poise. Please do check out The Civil Wars. They’re really good. Don’t let the “labels” of Christian or Appalachian fool you (but that’s probably why you haven’t heard of them).

Cyndi February 13, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Thanks for the funny, detailed report – I only saw half last night, but listened to the first part from another room … now I’m all caught up! I’m mad I missed a tribute to Etta James – love her.

Adele deserved everything she won.

Paul McCartney showed his age a little last night, although I have to remind myself he IS 70!

nhgrmi February 13, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Yes, I agree with most of what you wrote. I actually fell asleep, but I’m sure you’re right. I would have liked to have seen Jennifer Hudson’s solo.

Great Lakes February 13, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Absolutely agreed w/everything you wrote.

How Chris Brown can have a career after all his shenanigans is beyond me. Who allows him to earn all that money?

chpdlivr February 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Gosh, Lian…..you nailed it!! The prayer at the beginning was perfect. Bruno Mars made me smile. Chris Brown made my skin crawl. I just came home from an “over 50″ work out class, where everyone said the same thing about Bonnie Raitt…..she looked and sounded fantastic!

If you want to see a touching piece on Glen Campbell check out yesterday’s CBS Sunday Morning. (That show is my favorite reason to hit Saturday mass!)

Bettina February 13, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Thanks for the recap, Lian!
Love that Adele was showered with Grammys. What a voice!
Long show..inspiring performances.

Kristin February 13, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Try explaining Chris Brown and my disgust for him to my 9 yo. Venting about him, in contrast to the great skill and ability of Adele….. UGH!~ Haven’t seen the rest, DVR, but am quite sure your assessment is spot on!

Liz B February 13, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Lian you are right on all counts, esp the comments on Alicia Keyes and Bonnie Raitt – now THERE’s a pairing I would like to see more of!

Jennifer February 13, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I am surprised you didn’t say anything about The Big Man Clarence’s absence during Bruce’s opening. I kept thinking, oh there is where the sax solo would have been. I’m glad they didn’t replace him though, or at least I didn’t see another sax player. I enjoyed Adele and cannot wait for her next tour so I can experience her performance live :)

Teresa Smith February 13, 2012 at 9:04 AM

I appreciated Dave’s comments; he was right on target. So glad he won Best Rock song because the snipets they played from the other nominees…. I was like, you call that Rock?

As far as Chris Brown… all I can say is BLECH!

Wendy Smith February 13, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Oh Lian, SO glad to see you write ANYHTHING. I agree with all of the above..and the way you write is MUSIC to my ears.

Julie Dolan February 13, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Once again, little sister, you totally nailed the Grammys.

ErinM February 13, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Yes,yes, yes and yes. I agree with everything you said Lian, except I liked the Beach Boys number. Poor Bruno Mars; he really deserved to win something!