Random Thoughts on the Oscars, the Dresses and the Brad Pitt

by Lian on February 26, 2012

Please note that my systemic poison oak kept me from sleeping at all last night. So If I drift off mid-Thought , my apologies. Joining me on some Random Thoughts, Entertaining Sheila who is texting in from the Cozy Couch…

And the Oscar goes to:

Red Carpet arrival highlights: Tim Gunn and his generosity of spirit; Tina Fey looking fab and being funny; Colin Firth for just being Colin Firth; and Jennifer Lopez for giving girls like me a reason to moisturize in the morning. Like seriously moisturize.

Dress highlights poor moi: Penelope Cruz; Robin Roberts; Octavia Spencer;  Glenn Close and Cameron Diaz.

Let us take a moment to thank Brad Pitt for showing up and looking like we all dream Brad Pitt looks 24/7. Thank you, Brad.

Fun to see the film clip start and the musical number by Billy Crystal. But it did cause my teen son  to ask, ‘Who is THAT?”

Early slew of awards for Hugo is good for Marty.

Sheila texts that she has a crush on the editors of Dragon Tatoo. A victory she predicted btw.

Okay, now I’m starting to understand why JC Penny signed Ellen. Because she certainly doesn’t shop at JCP. But she works in the ads.

Up next for me, The Cameron Diaz haircut ?

Every time Brad Pitt gets a camera shot, Sheila sends me a giddy text: Can’t Get Over Brad Pitt.  I respond with equally giddy text: OMG.

Was rooting for Melissa McCarthy, but  happy for Octavia Spencer who took her moment.

Emma Stone is a movie star and awesome. She is so poised and funny. A delight.

Captain Von Trapp, edelweiss. And the purple tux is spectacular.

Hey , Billy C, stop making “old” jokes about Christopher Plummer. He looks younger than you! AND he just won an Oscar.

Text from Sheila: Chris Rock saves the show. Nice moment of spontaneity.

Text from Sheila: Ugh, Woody.

Best bunch of speeches: the film makers for live short action, documentary and animated short. LOVED you , people. No laundry lists of people to thank. Just some wonderful moments of genuine emotion.

Oh, no, Marty! Looks like the tide is turning towards The Artist. I thought the early wins might mean a Best Pic or Best Director win for The Scorsese.

That ad with the babies made me cry. Thanks, Johnson & Johnson.

Oprah! Lovin’ the gold dress and the tears. And, I really enjoyed your Oscar special with Jonah Hill. You should do an interview show. You’d be good at that.

Oh my gosh, Reese Witherspoon, I love the movie Overboard, too!

Teen son objects to Natalie Portman’s hair behind the ear. I agree.

Husband obejects to long personalized descriptions of Best Actor nominees. I agree.

30 -second clip of The Artist is enough for me.

How is it possible that Gary Oldman has never been nominated? Crazy.

Formidable is my favorite French word.

Brad Pitt is formidable. So is Colin Firth.

The Oscar for Best Speech: Meryl Streep

The Oscar for Biggest Dweeb Ever to win an Oscar: The producer of The Artist

Your thoughts?

chris February 28, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I loved all the movies I have seen the past season and so many were up for awards this yr…I am always very open to the arty kind like the artist, and the new classics like Hugo…many films were just judged poorly by those who did not see them or else they dislike the actors…
at least that is what I heard around here….I found meaning in many of them, that at face value, was not apparent…
did not see any vampire or tattoo movies though…I know what my tastes are..
the Descendants was very good and well acted..true to life, as I know some of it first hand…older age lends a wisdom sometimes missed when younger; …and by far I loved the Help.
thanks for your random thoughts…you are saying the same as what was said in my living room …
for the most part the gowns did disappoint. yes ladies…eat some pasta and desserts…please…stick people are not pretty…?? just distracting???

kathie February 27, 2012 at 8:41 PM

My kids wondered who Billy Crystal was, too. Then I had to go attend a work function with my husband. Who schedules that on Oscar night? I taped it and look forward to speeding through to the interesting parts!

t3zoo February 27, 2012 at 6:47 PM

My teens asked, “Who is that?” about Billy Crystal too!

Kristin February 27, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Got goosebumps for Octavia Spencer; genuine and raw. Meryl, after over 30 years, the love expressed for your husband a wonderful thing. Angelina, eat something for god sake. If only I could have actually seen these movies…. so many on my short list!

Lian, I so hope you feel better. Steroids? Poison Ivy kicked my butt two summers ago.

Jami Goldstene February 27, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Lost a mouthful of coffee when I read, “30 second clip of the Artist is enough for me.” Classic and my sentiments exactly.

Jennifer February 27, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Can wait to hear your comments on this in your next podcast. I have very little time to actually watch these events on Sunday nights but you keep me enlightened so I can keep up with people who don’t have three small children at home! Lol!

Kim February 27, 2012 at 5:48 AM

George Clooney is my “Brad Pitt”. How does that man not age? So charming. Loved Octavia! Her emotions were so genuine. I adored The Help, as did all my friends here in Atlanta. I’m wondering if it’s more of a “southern thing”? Viola would have won, too, I believe, against anyone other than Meryl, who was absolutely delightful. I do want to see The Artist. It looks like a lovely movie that will be better on the big screen than my TV at home. I enjoyed Billy as a host. It just seemed more like “The Oscars” than it has in years. They should just keep him there as long as he will do it. I think he was much better than Eddie Murphy would have been. I think Neil Patrick Harris would be a great host, one day. I wish they would have let the Muppets sing their song. It was one of my favorite parts of that movie. Overall, though, I enjoyed the show about a MILLION times better than the last several years.

Leah Rempel February 27, 2012 at 4:55 AM

Just watching the Live From The Red Carpet nearly 24 hours after the actual show because it was aired Monday morning, Hong Kong time. It’s already 9 pm so I don’t think I’m actually even going to get to the Oscars. I’m mostly interested in the red carpet schmoozing anyway. I only wish Sheila was there instead of Ryan Seacrest. She would have rocked it!

Karyn February 27, 2012 at 4:20 AM

Soooo glad when Jean won for Best Actor…. he deserved it over George and Brad, for SURE.

Annie Goodrich February 26, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Oh, and biggest laugh of the night, by far, was the guys who made fun of Angelina’s vogueing on the stage. Noticed she didn’t stick around to walk them off…

Annie Goodrich February 26, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Dresses: In addition to your faves, thought Viola Davis’ (and her in it) was ah-mazing; loved Gwyneth until she took off the cape/rap and then the shoulders reminded me of Lady Gaga; and while she’s not a movie star, Stacy Keibler was stunning. And a short note to Angelina – please, have a sandwich!

carol February 26, 2012 at 11:16 PM

1. Every time I see Ben Lyons commenting, I think ‘Why, Why didn’t Entertaining Sheila get that job??’ She coulda done it!
2. Now I really want to see Hugo.
3. Yes, Brad Pitt, gorgeous, but surprisingly, Angelina showing some leg onstage and some humor?! wow. Looking so so thin though. Liked the dress.
4. No one’s dress really bowled me over but still look forward to Fashion Police tomorrow night!
5. Surprised that Viola Davis didn’t win, but happy that Meryl did. But for Iron Lady? I didn’t see it, but did anybody? lol. There were so so many other movies that she should’ve won for.
6. Loved the jcpenney commercials with Ellen. Funny.
7. I’m sad seeing Christopher Plummer because he is so not Captain Von Trapp anymore. : (
8. Me and my sister both love Overboard also. My 2 favorite movies are The Sound of Music and Dr. Zhivago.

Jennifer G February 26, 2012 at 9:56 PM

My dvr cut off Meryl’s speech so I had to go on youtube to watch a pirated version which actually had better sound then the real show. Did anyone else keep getting an echo from the mics?

Brad Pitt is the best looking man I have ever seen, although I do prefer him with short hair.

When Reese mentioned Overboard I could totally relate, I love that movie.

I enjoyed the show but really do wish they would only televise the big awards and make the show an hour and a half.

yvonne madvig February 26, 2012 at 9:30 PM

wish war horse would have won for something. did think hugo was very deserving of it’s wins. ellen’s jcp commercials were great. hoping Billy will be back next year with a better group of best pictures to work with. this year’s selection was not that impressive in my opinion. good movies but not oscar worthy as in past years.

Jan B February 26, 2012 at 9:28 PM

1. Glenn Close is looking fabulous these days. If she has had work done, I want the name of her doctor. She looks very natural, (and yet so young) that I can’t tell.

2. Loved Cameron Diaz’ hair.

3. Agree with your comments about Brad Pitt

4. My daughter and I watched Overboard a million times. “Arturo and Catalina”

5. Chris Rock-loved the honesty.

Thanks for the Random thoughts. They always make me laugh.

Nancy (a la trampoline) February 26, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Didn’t watch, but FB feeds said Meryl’s speech a bit “Hollywood elite”; was rooting for Glenn. Can’t believe she has never won, although I have not see Albert Nobs.

Jennifer February 26, 2012 at 8:51 PM

The minute they announced Woody Allen, I could hear you groaning!

{ 2 trackbacks }