Do the Work Wednesday #8: Finding Inspiration

by Lian on April 18, 2012

Sexy and Fun and Set in Paris. Nuff said.

If I was a Pinterest whiz, I’d create an Inspiration Board for you all to see. But, I’m not, so you’ll have to  take my word for it. When I’m in writing mode ( or any creative mode at all, from cooking to  storytelling) I seek inspiration in the world around me.  For writing, I use almost any type of media to hunt for plot points, character names, historical details or simply to keep my motivation up.  When I was writing Helen of Pasadena, I’d write all day and read books in my genre at night. When they muse failed to show up in the morning, I never felt guilty wtaching Sweet Home Alabama one more time because it was a step it the right direction. Plots points from Helen came from all sorts of sources, like newspapers and museum newsletters.

My motto was ( and is): You never know where you’re going to find inspiration.

What’s inspiring me this time?

TV: The Good Wife

Books: French Lessons by Ellen Sussman

Movies: I’m going to the new Zac Efron picture this weekend while my husband’s out of town

Music: Adele 21

Where do you find inspiration? How do you keep the creative fires simmering?

Let me know. Embracing my Chaos, Lian

Related posts:

Do the Work Wednesday #7: Tapping into your creative spirit

Lesley in MN April 19, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Kristin,
Your inspiration is not at all silly. In fact, I find inspiration from my university students and the young research participants I have the opportunity to work with. Their outlook on life is fresh – not seen through a lens jaded by many life experiences.

gilles April 19, 2012 at 3:35 AM

The latest play we’re doing is “I Hate Hamlet.” I have a small role as a NYC Real Estate Broker. My inspiration was Fran Drescher’s “The Nanny.” I downloaded just the audio from YouTube and listened while I was walking the dog — only when there weren’t any podcasts from the Sisters, of course.

Betsy Furler April 18, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Hi all!
I am joining the group! I started writing a nonfiction book last Tuesday. My goal is to get 400 words down everyday and hopefully more! The book is related to my career (Speech/Language Pathology) and my obsession (the iPad). My inspiration is the tremendous progress I see when working with my patients on the iPad!

Cyndi April 18, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Kristin, you inspire me with your counseling work! It takes a special person to devote (part of) themselves to helping others, especially those in critical need.

Like Sue in NJ, I always walk away from practicing yoga in a much better place physically and mentally than I did before I started – never fails. There are so many things that inspire me that I wouldn’t know where to begin … being in the company of positive, grounded people who know how to laugh at the absurd comes to mind quickly – my husband fits the bill thankfully, as well as some good friends. Reading/hearing stories about people that fight against the odds really inspires me no matter what the odds happen to be. Good music and art are good for the soul, but it can be also be anything visually interesting or harmonious, not great works.

Pinterest looks intriguing – I started a month or so ago for fun, but quickly realized I could totally get sucked in and waste too many hours! I’m very visual so enjoy visiting occasionally. One quirky thing I like to do that inspires me sometimes is to read cookbooks – not cover to cover and most times not even cooking the recipe. I just like to flip through the photos, read the ingredients and instructions – it’s oddly relaxing. Weird I know!

Mari – I wish you the best with exploring your second life as you heal!

Sue in NJ April 18, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Good luck, Mari!
Sometimes it’s the Chaos Crew that’s an inspiration :-) Yoga helps to regenerate the gratitude and positive reflection on my life. Right now, having company tomorrow was my inspiration to clean the house. Not a big thing, in the scheme, but certainly a necessary one at the moment!

mari (Bookworm with a View) April 18, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I just placed a hold at the library for French Lessons :)

What’s inspiring me? I met a life coach last weekend and she’s helping me find my inspiration. Does this count? I’m wondering what I will do with my ‘second life’ – I need a plan and a way to get there. In a strange way this is inspiring me. Hope that makes sense :)

After breaking my hip, ribs, basically my left side… I was given to ok to run this week. Being able to move inspires me!

It’s the little things this week, I hope you are having success writing!

Kristin April 18, 2012 at 9:26 AM

This may sound a bit silly, but in the counseling work I do, I find inspiration in my own children. As I did an intense session yesterday with a young person in crisis, knowing that it was keeping me from my own family, I thought to myself how much they mean to me and how I would want someone to be there for them.