Colorado Shooting, The Summer of Nagging, and Ann Curry: Chaos Chronicles 520

by Lian on July 24, 2012

Hi all, I finally got a chance to record the show. Lots happening this week. Take a listen here:
Tue, 24 July 2012

The Colorado Shooter: Is he mentally ill? Let’s hope so. But maybe not. For an interesting perspective, read this story from The New York Times Magazine by Scott Anderson. He profiles a man in prison for shooting his parents 19 year ago. He’s sorry, he’s reformed, should he go free?

Women in the news: Suri Cruise and Ann Curry

And The Summer of Nagging: Hello, my name is Lian and I’m a nagger. Please help me as I nag my 17 year old son the summer before his senior.

Plus, To Do List

Direct download: chaos_520.mp3
Category:2012 — posted at: 6:19 PM
Plus, want more? Julie and I did a Satellite Sisters how today as well! We covered a lot of ground, including:
The Penn State Sanctions
Is it okay to root against Tiger Woods?
Yahoo’s CEO Marissa Mayer
Click on the Satellite Sisters Logo to connect to satellitesisters.com

chpdlivr July 28, 2012 at 7:20 AM

Just listened to the podcast…….I like to save it for a solo walk! I agree with SS Julie’s comment…..once they become teens we seldom talk about parenting issues. What’s with that?
As far as the nagging goes, I’m assuming you’ve used the car as an incentive……nothing says “get ‘er done” like the possibility of losing car privileges.

Oh, and don’t think I didn’t catch that comment you made about podcasts. Something to the effect: as we consider weather or not to go forward with these podcasts!! Sounded a bit ominous. There’s a ton of us who would be VERY sad!
Off to enjoy the games!

pat in o.c. July 27, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Your two sons seem like wonderful young men (per your podcasts). I know they will be great thru high school & college, whichever school they attend. 17 & full of teenage angst…slow to go forward, drags his feet, acts like he can’t hear you….isn’t that normal for a teenage boy? The idea of THE S.A.T., THE gpa, THE college applications, THE right choice….may be getting to him.

No drugs, no booze fests, no DUI, no Lindsay Lohan type behavior, no pregnant GF, no hazing, no gangs, no fight club, no driving tickets per week, no goth or punk looks, etc. I’d say you’re doing pretty good.

Olympics – @ the BBC blog site………the reports sound like a brilliant show w/The Queen……well, never mind. I hate NBC for not showing us this, or at least giving us some of the info w/online stream. We’d watch it anyway NBC…even w/spoilers! Stupid NBC.

I don’t want to see Michelle Obama or Cameron or Blair or Mitt Romney or Jacque IOC whoever or Matt Laurer or the President of Iran…..I really want to see Lochte-Phelps, the blind archer, soccer, all the O.C. athletes, Andy Murray win the Gold @ home, & track & field…….. Mitt, I know technically you were right (the media in the USA did play up all the serious security concerns & the possible strikes…but, once there as a guest, just say, ‘England will do great, I’m looking forward to a great Games!’ Repeat, smile, repeat, do not deviate……..)

T3zoo July 26, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Hmmm, I have no advice since I am also a nagger, of TWO 17 year olds! But I like both the above ideas–the scheduled once a week nag session and the hired nag! I might try both.
And boy, can I relate. Not only am I nagging, I am also spending a considerable amount of time saying, “No.” “No, no, no, no, NO.” I am considered mean, crazy, not normal. Ah, good times, good times.
And yes, we need to get them into some sort of schools because if they do not move out next August, we will surely lose our minds.
Thank you, Lian, for letting me know I am not alone in this mothering of teens world!

Cyndi July 26, 2012 at 3:18 AM

My experience with my first daughter was similar to margaret’s – music major so along with the regular application, it was a crazy journey through vocal auditions, etc… just made it more complicated. She just graduated this May with a degree in english – would have been much easier if she started on that path!

And I couldn’t agree more with Dana Pepper Bouton – finding an inexpensive by the hour counselor to keep them on track is so worth it if that’s a possibility for you – it’s a relief for everyone. Especially when it’s the first child going through the process – it will get easier the next time around.

Nagging is exhausting (I speak from experience!) so this year is going to be FULL of nagging opportunities – I can only suggest that you put the usual nagging on the shelf and help your son focus on the important deadlines. Easier said than done, yes!

Dana Pepper Bouton July 25, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I can relate. My son thinks I LIKE to nag because according to him I’m GOOD at it! Please…it’s not true at all.

Per his request, we’ve hired a college counselor-we just pay her by the hour-no expensive package deal, no expensive SAT tutoring involved-but she tells him what to do and when and he seems to respond well to her…so far. At any rate, less nagging for me and I’m happy about that.

margaret July 24, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Getting our now 19 y.o. son through the college ap process was painful -and we had to schedule singing auditions in addition to the usual rigamarole. It was like pushing water. I later heard a suggestion that sounded reasonable – not sure if it would have worked for my son but you could try it. The suggestion is to first agree what has to be done (good luck with that one), then set up a weekly (or daily) appointment time when you check in with him about his progress. And no nagging in between.
And I think you do want him to go – I was amazed at how much free brain space I had last fall, once he moved out. Now he is home for the summer, working part time, and driving up the food bills again. Of course we love having him here, but kids this age need to be out on their own, finding out how they want to live in the world.