Random Thoughts #3 London 2012: Fab Five, Brendan Hansen and My Dream Team

by Lian on July 29, 2012

Oh, Boys of Water. That was a tough race. You needed to get your Lezak on, Ryan Lochte. As they say in the  Sports Cliches Hall of Fame : That’s why they play the game.

The last two nights of swimming reinforce what a  special occurrence the Micheal Phelps performance in 2008 was.

Chris  Collingsworth is in London. But appears to be on NBC boondoggle, not actually working.

The women’s road race make great television. Sport and Spectacle.

Cyclists are dropping like flies. But the spectators keep on cheering. Great aerial shots of London, the crowds, the venues, the cyclists and the rain.

While watching the US men’s volleyball game , my husband announced,”I’ve never liked Serbia!” Huh?

Every athlete profile is getting to me, even the one about  the investment banker who became a cyclist after the fall of Lehman Brothers. Must be PMS.

I wish I could do the floor excercises just once in my life. I’d like to feel what doing a tumbling run feels like.

There appear to be cheerleaders at the volleyball venues who come out during the breaks. Cheerleaders in London? Who knew?

Dan Patrick and Al Michaels on the same set is my idea of The Dream Team.

I don’t really get Synchro Diving but when those American women learned they won the silver, I became a fan. Great moment for two American girls.

Loving the archery and shooting teams (Way to go, Kim Rhode! And love the Archery Boys!) but those brown jackets have got to go.

Ditto with dull grey medal stand jackets on the swimmers.

Poor Andrea Kramer. Still in the golf shirts.  Why, NBC, why? She is such a good interviewer. Doesn’t she deserve a better neckline.

Love the Dana Vollmer Comeback Story. Wow, was the crowd loud.

The Gold Medal for Most Charming Post-race Interview goes to…  Brendan Hansen.

Air Maroney is a great nickname.

Aly Raizman’s parents “doing” her uneven bar in their seats was unbelievable. I know I do the same thing when my sons takes a PK, but not on national TV. You stuck the landing, Mom and Dad.

I predict that Lifetime will pick up Gymnastics Moms after the Games.

Aaron Piersol has still got it.

I’m suspicious that all these gymnasts are quite as friendly and supportive of each other as the 27 taped pieces and interviews would have us believe. This is serious head-to-head competition and the sidelines don’t look all that warm & fuzzy.

Wow, that was some heart-breaking  moment for Jordyn Wieber captured on TV. Not in Sports Cliches Hall of Fame.

The rules of gymnastics are stupid.

Random Thoughts #1

Random Thoughts #2

Mari @Bookworm with a View July 30, 2012 at 7:30 PM

ps: beach volleyball… explain the sports bra over the long tee please…

Mari @Bookworm with a View July 30, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I agree with the golf shirt, not a good look for 2012.

girls gymnastics (they are girls, not ladies..) was heartbreaking last night, even though we should be excited for Aly. The men are doing horribly tonight… what’s going on?!

Off to watch Phelps! (I paused it, cranked Madonna to fold laundry so I can sit and watch the last hour… I know… this is what it’s come to when I’m home alone!) ha

Christina from MN July 30, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Love your Random thoughts Lian! Totally agree with you on the sychro diving. I became a fan after I saw those girls too.

Debra R July 30, 2012 at 6:38 PM

I love your comments. They make me laugh…because it’s all true. We replayed Raizman’s parents a few times. I thought they were great! I’m having so much fun watching the Olympics :-)

DC July 30, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Is it just me….or does anyone else realize that Lochte COULD have been responsible for a gold medal for Phelps (maybe Phelps only gold this year?) in the team relay and yet it didn’t happen! Team mate or fierce competitor!?

Professor Alan July 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM

What about beach volleyball in long-johns? That’s just not fair.

urbangirl July 30, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Lian – love the Random Thoughts !

I saw the cheerleaders during the men’s VB today, that cracked me up. So are there cheerleaders during the BB games ? It must be chilly there, the women in the beach VB are wearing sleeves and leggings.

I need to check the schedule, would love to see the Trampoline competition.

Debbie in Bethesda July 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM

On the 2 person per country limit in gymnastics…I would have been more impassioned if I had not found out during the earlier synchro dibing competition that there is a 2 person per country limit there called the China rule….at that point it seemed fair that more than one country would always get a medal.

Btw I like the NBC olympics app that provides facts and polls and videos simulcast with the evening broadcast but not that they post the results early…

MaryCatherine July 30, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I am also embarrassed looking at the male swimmers during the interviews. I am glad the athletes put the jackets on for the medal ceremonies but I wish they were nicer and fit better. It looked like Dana Vollmer was wearing Michael Phelps jacket it was so large! Also love the men’s archery team. Loved how when they were interviewed today they seemed like such normal guys and so appreciative of winning the Silver!

mark July 30, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Honestly Jordan did not have her best meet. Her connections were questionable on beam at best. This has been an on going problem that was never addressed domestically. I do support the two per country rule. People say let the best compete. Well why do we only have five per country in the olympic games? Why not have 25 from a country…….. granted, it would kill the gymnastics in some countries. I think it would be discouraging if the first 25 gymnasts were from china.

Lian July 30, 2012 at 5:35 AM

Jennifer– I’m almost embarrassed to look at the TV when they interview the male swimmers/water polo players. It’s too much.

Jennifer July 30, 2012 at 4:31 AM

Did you miss the men’s polo? Best uniforms of the day ;)