Random Thoughts on London 2012 #4: Missy Franklin, Tom Daley and a suggestion for NBC

by Lian on July 30, 2012

London 2012. Day #4. MISSY!!!!

I’m officially lost in the Olympic Time/Space continuum. Is this live, previously recorded, just “recorded” or a promotion for The Today Show?

Tell me if this sounds familiar:

Son: Is this the final?

Me: No, it’s the semi-final. But the final is happening now.

Son: Where?

Me: In London or online.

Son: But not on TV?

Me: No, It will be on TV in 8 hours.

Son: What?

NBC, can I make a request? I know you’re doing nine million hours of TV, but would it be possible to have a highlights show a la Sportscenter for the one person in America  who can’t watch TV or the Internet  in the middle of  the day but wants to see events like men’s water polo and kayaking?

That one guy in America is my husband and he’s now “producing” his own highlight  show by fast forwarding through 12 hours of recorded video in about 20 minutes  and doing his own commentary. Help me, NBC.

NBC, can that cute young Liam McHugh host it?

I’ve discovered that I can tape Mary Carillo’s late night show and watch in the morning, so I can avoid the commercial-fest they call The Today Show.

Mary had a really fun interview with the silver Medal Synchro Diving girls. Very appealing young women.

Now that I spent an afternoon Stand-Up Paddleboarding, I think I’m ready for Olympic kayaking.

It appears the Kobe Bryant has a date with destiny. Or make that a date with volleyball star/supermodel Destinee Hooker. He is certainly watching her very closely at the women’s volleyball game.

And I’m enjoying the occasional shots of volleyball coach/legend Karch Kiraly. Karch, looking good.

My mother said that if she got in a fight, she’d want to US Women’s water polo team on her side.

I love water polo captain Brenda Villa’s story.

But, somebody needs to explain the women’s water polo suits to me. Is there a competitive edge to the butt floss?  Because there certainly isn’t a aesthetic advantage.  Plus, they look painful.

The driveway table tennis tournament is in full swing at our house.

Competing against Chinese divers at the Olympics is like competing against Kate Winslet at the Oscars. Why bother to show up?

How does British diver Tom Daley get so tan?  In all the British sun? Hmm…

Are the divers’ swimsuits getting smaller?

Whoa, the diving super slo-mo- slash- stop motion in the diving coverage is both fabulous and slightly embarrassing. Where is that arrow pointing?

The NBC profile of totally normal Missy Franklin and her totally normal parents should be required viewing for every American sports parent.

And thank goodness, somebody got those Franklin parents some better tickets.  Last night, they were in the nosebleed section. That’s what happens when your daughter chooses to swim at her high school instead of signing a sponsorship deal: you gotta pay for your own tickets.

Missy Franklin, you are something special.

Team GB, way to go in gymnastics. Word of advice: find that tanning salon Tom Daley uses, boys.

Tim Daggett, if it was “obvious” to us, we’d turn the sound off . We don’t know jack about gymnastics because they keep changing the scoring and making up stupid rules. Please stop staying “obviously.”

Get it together, Ryan Lochte. Please.

Related Posts:

London 2012 #3

London 2012 #2

London 2012 #1

Mari @Bookworm with a View July 31, 2012 at 4:45 PM

I recorded Carrillo’s overnight and loved it, plan to do this again tonight.

Syncronized diving sounds silly but I love an event that’s all or nothing – five dives and it’s over.

Love Missy Franklin.

Having just spent two weeks in the UK…. I can confirm they have no sun this summer. Spray tan!

Waterpolo… I have missed it but sounds like a good thing based on floss.

So sorry to see the men gymnastics meltdown last night – it was painful to watch. And the brits… stripped of the silver. I did feel bad for that guy on pommel horse, dismounting with a roar.

Let’s go Michael! I want everyone to stop the negativity.

Lian Dolan July 31, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Sonita– I too have noticed the EXTREME close-ups. very Fox Sports.

It feels invasive. Pull out, NBC, pull out!

Sonita July 31, 2012 at 11:10 AM

May I add a question to the NBC thread? What is with those hyper close-ups on all the athletes? I really don’t need to see the spit-strings in their mouths. Really. Poor athletes. Back off and give them some breathing…Be-ing room! And, in all the commotion of the men’s gymnastics after GB floor program, what happened to the coverage? We (viewers at my house) just wanted to see the scores. All we got was hyper close-ups of the guys’ faces and the Japanese challenger trying to file his complaint. Since when did the media coverage resemble tabloid-style sensationalism? I’m embarrassed to admit I have a journalism degree (and feeling very much like a curmudgeon)!

Tami July 31, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Yea Missy! What an amazing young woman and athlete! I loved watching her dad during the awards ceremony … very touching. Words cannot describe the pride … gives me chills!

pat in o.c. July 31, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Missy Franklin is too sweet! What a lovely thing for her, and for Aurora too. Good luck in all your other events! Fantastic smile.

Chinese teen swimmer beats Ryan’s time…..uh, no, that’s not eyebrow raising………

I am still crying for the female fencer & the 1 second glitch. They made her stay up there on the stage while they took their sweet time figuring out how to mess up her games………..ugh.

Too much Kobe.

I just can’t watch synchronized diving. Why do the male swimmers were the legging suits & race against time. The women divers wear actual suits. But, the male divers can’t wear anything more than male floss.

William J. July 31, 2012 at 6:06 AM

I don’t always agree with them but I always love them! Keep the random thoughts coming. They make me think and they make me laugh.

Ryan Lochte is loaded down with expectations after being over-hyped because of one Olympic performance.

The true face of the games: Missy.

She is having fun. She is enjoying the moment. She has fun, I have fun watching. She smiles, I smile. She is being who she is. Whether she wins another medal or not I am in it with her. She gives it her all and then goes home and trys out for the high school swim team. My guess is she will make it.

And is there a better quote yet then Missy taking off her gold medal, looking at it, and saying “Isn’t this beautiful”. Well maybe there is another one just as good when Justin Bieber tweeted her “I’ve died and gone to heaven.”

Normal Teen. Talent hasn’t changed her. Her parents should be celebrated as much as she is.

Bill

yvonne madvig July 31, 2012 at 5:27 AM

Keep the random thoughts coming, Lian! They add so much to the Olympic experience and I’m always ready for more laughs! Love them!!

Barb in Idaho July 31, 2012 at 4:43 AM

Hear, hear Missy and her parents!

Kristin July 31, 2012 at 3:23 AM

Love these random thoughts, Lian. It is as if you are inside my brain and listening to my self talk :)

Now, in all the hours of coverage, to find the TaeKwonDo coverage for my almost black belt 10 year old daughter. May I be like the Franklins as her mom!

Laura July 31, 2012 at 2:47 AM

I love Missy Franklin! I have 2 daughters, ages 2 and 5. I want them to be that normal and well adjusted at 17, regardless of their participation in sports. I can’t wait to see more of her and I hope she wins some additional medals.