Random Thoughts on London 2012 #5: Zara Phillips, Women’s Gymnastics and Camilla

by Lian on July 31, 2012

Day 5  and my No Internet discipline breaks down. Phelps. Gymnastics. Volleyball. I had to look…

but first…

Hat’s off to Zara Phillips, a Royal who can actually do something! Now that the dressage is over, I can actually enjoy the equestrian events without the mocking comments from the men in my house.

My man Tim Ryan is doing the job on the eventing play-by-play and analyst Melanie Smith-Taylor adds to the high-mindedness with just the right amount of Locust Valley Lockjaw and a hyphen in her name.

The horses are so lovely, except that one. Oh, wait. That’s Camilla.

That rain poncho is the most flattering thing Camilla’s ever worn.

Loved the ‘jumps” on the cross country, like the mini Tower of London. I only wish Mr. Bean had been in the Tower.

Kidding. Calm down.

There’s a lot of trashtalking in judo.

I love when the athletes go crazy when they win a bronze or silver. We get so focused on gold, sometimes you forget what an accomplishment any medal is.

I already feel bad enough about my aging body, I’m not sure watching the Brazilian and German women play beach volleyball is helping.

That Cullen Jones seems like such a lovely young man.

Concerned about Jordyn Weiber’s mental health, I looked up the women’s gymnastics results.  Good for them. Good for her.

Once you go down that path, you have to go all the way. Good day for US swimming. Can’t wait to actually see the races.

I hope Rowdy Gaines took his meds before the broadcast.

Something happens mid-day in the NBC coverage that is egregious. Poor Dan Patrick who couldn’t care less about social media is forced to engage in a discussion about the top tweets of the day. I’ve never made it through a whole segment because it’s so painful to watch. Hey, NBC, make Ryan Seacrest do that, will ya?

Dalhauser and Rogers need a stylist.

The crowd is having some fun at that Beach Volleyball venue.

My apologies to Mrs. Kobe Bryant for yesterdays remark about her husband. Oops! I thought the Bryant  split was permanent, not temporary. I’m sure he was there for the fine volleyball, not Destinee.

ARGHHHH! I think I’ve been generous and patient with Synchro Diving. But what is it doing on again? What could they have left to synchronize?

Air Maroney! Wowowowowow!

Who is that grown women performing for Romania? She looks like she entered the wrong event. Hey, Lady, the Masters Gymnasatics is down the hall.

That being said…If Tim Daggett makes one more condescending remark about Jordyn Wieber needing her mommy I will scream. Sure, it’s terrible what happened and she is under lots of pressure ( from people like you, Tim!). But Jordyn is a world-class athlete and even though she’s young, she’ll cope. It’s called Women’s Gymnastics, not Gymboree.

Have you noticed how many gymnasts are performing to James Bond theme music?

I’m loving all the Parent-cams. Kills me everytime.

Chinese swimmer and Chinese badminton players with some sketchy athletic stories. At least they did a good job on the US uniforms~!

Micheal Phelps looked crushed after 200 Butterfly. Again, underscores the impossible  achievement of Beijing.

When the Satellite Sisters went to Russia to host a charity event, we were treated to hair and make-up by Russians! Our producer got the full “hair sparkle” like the Russian gymnasts. Except our producer Corny was a grown-up and was seated next to an Ambassador at dinner.

Channeling Dick Button: Good girl, Gabby.

I love the fact that the US Women went out there and won that medal. Sometimes, gymnastics is a war of attrition. Or an international incident with horrible judging. But the US Team was just flat out better.

And the Gold Medal for Using Every Sports Cliche in the Book to Tiresome Effect: Al Trautwig.

Why are we still up? Why won’t NBC put on the marquee events near the middle of the coverage and make the Synchro Diving fans stay up late? Why ask why?

London 2012 #4

London 2012 #3

William J. August 1, 2012 at 6:36 PM

You think it is tough watch the Olympics with the men in your house try watching it with a ninety-six year old Mom. Here is here commentary when we watching the Olympics at noon “What time is the Men’s volleyball on. Those guys are really cute, I wouldn’t mind taking one of them behind the barn.”

I start therapy in a couple of weeks.

Bill

urbangirl August 1, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Way to work in Camilla ! too funny

I caught the women’s water polo during my lunch hour – and quickly thought of 3 reasons why I wouldn’t succeed at this Olympic sport:
1. I’d be in a slap-fight with the girls yanking on my swimsuit to keep me from getting the ball.
2. The person you are ‘guarding’ can practically drown you (what’s up with that !)
3. I’d be too exhausted just watching the others play as I sat on the bench.

You gotta be tough to play water polo – yikes.

Cafe Pasadena August 1, 2012 at 5:55 PM

You have no internet discipline? I agree with that one!
I continue to follow your London Chronicles.

yvonne madvig August 1, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Good comments, Lian! You continue to be hilarious and a bit more snarky that I expected. (Must be the lack of sleep) Love the snarky!

Nancy August 1, 2012 at 7:33 AM

I love the synchro diving, but then my daughter dives now.

I think NBC and the media in general hyped Jordyn to such an extent that they were at a loss of what to do with the coverage after she missed the all-around finals.

I agree that the lack of showing other countries is annoying.

AnnieGoodrich August 1, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Synchro diving, I mean. Olympic coverage has my brain scrambled…

AnnieGoodrich August 1, 2012 at 7:22 AM

Since I can’t watch all day, I am SO with you on the cluelessness of the order of events at night! Ack! I may do as others have and DVR the whole damn thing during the day to buzz through it when I have time. And… get ready for it…there is more synchro swimming today – on the springboard. Groan.

Michele August 1, 2012 at 7:11 AM

It seems as if the commentators want Jordyn to have a breakdown! Why are we always so amazed and surprised when people actually show a normal human emotion?! I think it says something abour about our culture, or maybe how our culture thinks less of women. People expect and think it’s charming when someone cries at a beauty contest. All in all…seems as if they could get better commentators!

Mari @Bookworm with a View August 1, 2012 at 6:42 AM

Continuing to love these posts! I have had the TV on all day/night but clearly your viewing experience is much better than mine. Might be that I have only NBC mother channel on – and on mute most of the day. A gal has to work you know!

Laughing at Kobe comment

Did you really go to the dark side and check out scores online?! Walk away from the internet Lian, walk away. :)

Your aging body… my aging body… it’s hard to look at how muscular Gaby is and not shed a tear for the good old days. (to clarify… remember my prime, not that I looked like specimen that is Gaby, all muscle).

Chinese swimmer… this will be interesting

Boo Tiger, WOOHOO Phelps!

Men’s Gymnastics… Let’s hope the men performer better tonight.

Barb August 1, 2012 at 6:37 AM

Lian,
I think I am enjoying your random thoughts and Bill Simmons’ coverage on Grantland every morning even more than I am enjoying the actual Olympics!

Barb

Janet August 1, 2012 at 5:49 AM

I agree, less diving, more soccer! I am at least thankful to see some rowing during the day since that was my college sport. Commentator Yaz Farooq was coxswain when I rowed at Wisconsin! Go USA!

Sarie August 1, 2012 at 5:42 AM

Love all the comments Lian – sounds like our house! My men only like the women synchro divers – gee I wonder why? Speaking of why, gets under my skin that the women athletes are regularly “girls” yet the male athletes are always men and never “boys”. UGH.
I too succumbed to CNN Breaking news during the day yesterday. So hard to withstand the wait to primetime…