Random Thoughts on London 2012 #6: Fab Five, Matt Lauer’s Skinny jeans and Women’s Weightlifting

by Lian on August 1, 2012

Today, I actually had to get some work done so THAT really cut into my viewing time. Plus, I’m exhausted from staying up until midnight to watch that relay. But I was able to use multiple sources  -sons, Facebook posts, internet– and reduced viewing to put together today’s Random Thoughts…

Saw the Fab Five on The Today Show.  Talented, wonderful, and media-trained within an inch of their personalities. No matter what the question, no matter who responded, the answer was: “I’m so proud of all the girls.”

Very different from the swimmers.

But then the gymnasts  moms and dads showed up and that was sweet. And real.

I think Mrs. Wieber has a Chicos deal, too.  Statement necklaces and layers animal prints. She looked very Chicolicious.

Props to Janet W who coined the word “sacrilympics” on my Facebook page. She used the term to describe Hoda and Kathie Lee entering the set to the Olympic theme music, drinks in hand.  Sacrilympic, indeed. See below, Janet.

Guess what, Janet?  Hoda is headed to London because of weak rating for the morning show. ( Ann Curry’s Revenge?) Bottoms up, Hoda!

Frantic Posting on Facebook this morning from Jane. She wanted confirmation that Matt Lauer was indeed wearing skinny jeans on the Today Show. Jane, after Fab Five interview, I had to turn off the show. But Matt’s jeans did look tight under the desk.

They don’t call it BADminton for nothing: Tanking is sacrilympics! Tankers, go home.

Love the US Fencing stars-and-stripes helmets. But I don’t get the sport at all.

I do appreciate that the fencing is staged and lit like a Hollywood movie. Nice art direction, Fencing.

Totally sorry to hear that US faves in archery and fencing suffered upsets. I’d feel better knowing that when the Zombie Apocalypse happens, we have some gold-medalists who can handle sharp objects.

My sister Monica emails me in the middle of the day: I am streaming live. I’m never going back to TV.

Loved to see Mom/Cyclist Kristin Armstrong take home the gold in the cycling time trial. Again. I missed the race but saw the delightful post-race interview with my new sportscrush Liam McHugh over there at the NBC Sports Network. Three cheers for the 39- year old mom with 22 -month old son.

Who knew kayaking could be so sexy?

I loved when the commentator described a maneuver that required the kayaker to cross the rapids and go upstream around a gate as “challenging.” I would have used the words “freaking impossible.”

Holy cow, did you catch the Women’s Weightlifting? The winner from North Korea  lifted like 325 pounds! I don’t know exactly because like a Global Loser, I don’t know the metric system. But it was a LOT of weight.

More synchro diving. I’m not gonna make it tonight.

Hey, Bob Costas, NBC actually let you talk tonight! Great taped pieces on Team GB golds in Rowing and Cycling. You’re pretty good, Bob. They should let you do more stuff.

The Mayor of London is the new Mr. Bean.

Thank goodness, swimming starts before men’s gymnastics.

Like Rowdy Gaines, I believe in “getting under the convoluted water” and “finishing strong.”

Looking good, Lochte.

Way to go, American women.

And Nathan Adrian, you are the man. What a stud! With a priceless reaction.  That was a 10 on the Rowdy-Blows-a-Gasket meter.

Tarzan won a gold in the 100 free?

Thanks to Ryan Seacrest, I know the origin of the Leyva towel.

When I look at the top Japanese gymnast, I see the hair separately from the body. It’s like the hair is its own entity.

Living La Vida Leyva.

London 2012 #5

Lian August 3, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Janet– I agree. I thought Bob was a little over the top mentioning the rowing announcer. Steeped on the moment for the women.

Sonita August 2, 2012 at 8:14 PM

So funny about Kohei Uchimura’s hair! My 12yo son (who REALLY needs a haircut, himself)was watching with me and remarked, “Mom, that dude really needs a haircut. And to shave his pits.” (ahem!)

Janet W. August 2, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Wow. I feel like an Olympian getting my name and new word in this post!

Saw that Hoda was there today …stopped watching. I have enjoyed the JAmie Oliver cooking segments, but don’t want to see the Today Show crew eat off the same grilled cheese sandwich.

Loved seeing the rowing (women’s 8) win the gold. Interview and medal ceremony both aired on prime time. Then Bob Costas talked about how great the man commentator did, since he was a basketball player. He could have mentioned the expert commentator, Yaz Farooq, who is a two time Olympian. Still not a fan of Bob.

Love reading these random thoughts,
Janet W

Ma Schmidt August 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM

So, did you see that overweight, aparently sleeping gentleman (in a Brasil jersey?) sitting next to Leyva last night? What was that about? And, the Russian jackets? Can’t believe you haven’t mentioned them yet….loving these updates!

Mary in MN August 2, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Keep the random thoughts coming! You confirm what we are thinking!

I second the Matt Lauer thought from Pat in o.c. NBC – your problem is the male anchor of the Today Show!

Mari @Bookworm with a View August 2, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I just saw a segment on NBC about a woman on the soccor team who has lyme’s disease! I need to find out who that is, we should be hearing her story (and anyone with a story like this).

Excited for tonight’s viewing… should be good!

Sue in NJ August 2, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Thank you to Lian and all the Crew for these updates and making me smile!

pat in o.c. August 2, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Loved Adrian’s win…..amazing. Missy and Adrian, best smiles………

More Ryan please NBC. Amazing how Phelps is so much better now that he won a Gold again…….LOL !

Rapid and whitewater in the Olympics, cool.

Cycling is all good….

Gabby gets it done……she just seems so comfortable and relaxed as compared to the gymnasts from other countries, & her own teammates. Congrats to your whole family Gabby!

Badminton tanking, sort of like losing a game in the NFL so you can get the 1st round draft pick I guess. Losing so you can try to win later on…..ok.

Skinny jeans on anyone over 40 is not a pleasant thing. Not Jennifer Anniston’s boyfriend, not Matt Laurer, not Tom Cruise…just a regular pair of classic Levi jeans will do men.

Again, NBC, perhaps the Today ratings have more to do with Matt, than the revolving door of women hosts…..

Brits – so far, w/ all the little blips here & there…..beautiful city, lovely job London!

Boris, you know somewhere in the world, Mitt & Ann (& maybe Tony Blair) are grinning as they watch your zipline action on Youtube over & over…….

Marie August 2, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Sports Crush is right! I got acquainted with Liam during last summer’s Tour De France and spent all of July with him this summer. He’s going to be big!!

Chicolicious is my new word. Will try using it in a sentence this afternoon!!

Kathy T August 2, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Loving your posts!

Lian August 2, 2012 at 7:17 AM

Anthony… I think the Zip Line Incident may be the end of Boris Johnson’s PM aspirations.

Or as we call it in America, a Howard Dean Scream moment.

Anthony August 2, 2012 at 7:01 AM

Every time I see Boris Johnson I hear the Laurel and Hardy theme tune. I think they should have allowed the people below to beat him with bats as they might beat a Piñata. Did you know he is being lined up to be the next Prime Minister?

yvonne madvig August 2, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Hilarity continues! Thank you, Lian.

{ 2 trackbacks }