Superstorm Sandy and Hurricane Edna

by Lian on October 30, 2012

Hi, all…

Happy to hear that so many of the Chaos Crew and Satellite Sisterhood are safe after enduring Sandy for the night.  Keep your updates coming here and on my Facebook page. I’ve been particularly anxious about my hometown of Fairfield, Connecticut and about the safety and welfare of the many nieces and nephews I have in Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan, so I appreciate all the check ins. Let me know what’s up.

I’m also concerned about the massive number of chocolate chip cookies that were baked yesterday in anticipation of power outages, according to your Facebook posts. I hope some survived the night and you have a ample supply for the next few days.

Meanwhile, here in Southern California, where the sun is shining and we have some mild Santa Ana wind conditions, we are hunkering down with my mother Edna Dolan who was recently diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. Last week, my sister Sheila took the week off to take over nursing duties and get my mom through some tough days. My mom’s energy is low and her appetite is weak. She has good hours and not good hours.  Now, my sister Monica, a nurse, is back in SoCal for the week and Liz is back at work. Today, I’m heading out to take my mother to the doctors and provide some respite care and potato leek soup for the ground crew. The situation is very day-to-day, as people warned me it would be. I didn’t truly understand what that meant, but now I get it. It’s hard to make a plan for tomorrow, never mind next week or next month. My mother’s health will not improve, but it’s impossible to say how quickly it will deteriorate.

On the home front, we made it through mid-terms, a weekend of soccer games, the Homecoming dance for both boys and their dates and packing up my parents’ apartment. Honestly, packing up their apartment was a tough detail.  My husband and I worked our way through the closets and drawers and boxes in a  systematic fashion, but it was still emotional. The original plan had been to move everything to Dallas, minus the furniture which was being distributed to various children. But after my mother’s diagnosis, their possessions are in limbo in my garage. An unexpected turn of events, to be sure.

Continued thanks for your concern and kind words. Hats off to the meal providers both in Santa Monica ( Ryan & Dexter, you are the best!) and here in Pasadena ( The many trips to Santa Monica and the 3- hour driving time in traffic has really cut down on my ability to shop and cook. Enter the lasagne makers, the enchilada deliverers! Dinner coming tonight to cover today’s trip to SM. Thank you, Elizabeth!) I’ve been very touched by all the kindness.

My good thoughts go out to Sandy Survivors. I hope you get your Halloween. I’m dedicating mine to those kids who might miss out this year. More candy for all!

Stay safe. Embrace your Chaos, Lian

Ma Schmidt November 2, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Lian I’m sorry that the Chaos has kept me from reading this until now – my thoughts are with all of you – I cannot even imagine what cleaning out their house was like — so much more than just “helping them move” — I miss hearing all voices but am glad you are allowing yourself the time to just be there — thinking of you -

Cyndi November 1, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Day to day as everyone has said … isn’t that all we really have anyway?

I hope you can find the magic recipe for your mother’s weak appetite. When my father-in-law had lung cancer, he would only eat blueberry muffins from Dunkin’ Donuts! Maybe whip up one of Edna’s famous blueberry muffins? I bet you will find something good that agrees with her – keep experimenting.

Keep doing what you do best.

CLSD OPEN October 31, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Lian & all the Dolans young & old—continued good thoughts to all of you, during this most difficult time. I hope your mom and dad both have everything they need and are comfortable. They raised wonderful kids who are paying it all back now. Hoping you all can find a moment’s peace here and there. Thanks for keeping us updated, Lian, with all you have going on. xo, Chris

Debbie in PA October 31, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Thanks for sharing your family sadness and challenges with us. I realize it may be hard both emotionally and time-consuming when time is short, but as with your shows it helps educate and prepare us for the challenges all of us face.

T&P

Leah Rempel October 31, 2012 at 7:09 AM

You’re all in my heart, parents included. Go gently into that dark night…

angi October 31, 2012 at 7:04 AM

Your beautiful writing about this tough period brings tears to my eyes. Your family and friends provide a wonderful example of the power of community. Thank you for sharing that with all of us.
I will keep praying for all of you.

pat in o.c. October 30, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Continued prayers and good wishes for all of the Dolans, cousins back East, caregivers, Dad, and Mom.

Prayers too for all those in the path of Sandy, the weeks and months to come will be so very hard.

Kelly October 30, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Just sending warm thoughts. Thanks for the updates. I miss all the sisters.

William J. October 30, 2012 at 3:07 PM

The best to those in the path of Sandy.

The best to the Dolans. My heart just aches that you have to go through this. Thank God you are all so supportive. Your mom is one damn strong lady and I know she is proud of the family she raised. Special thoughts towards Monica this week, and for Sheila last week and all the Dolans every week.

Bill

Sunshine October 30, 2012 at 1:40 PM

My brother’s brother-in-law owns several restaurants and a house on Long Beach Island, NJ. He did not evacuate and no one is permitted to return to the island yet. Power is not expected to be restored for at least 10 days.

He sent pictures of the island, including one of his restaurants with 3 feet of water surrounding the building…before the storm hit yesterday. His home had 6 inches of water inside. That may not seem bad until you realize the water had to be at least 5 feet deep to get into the house. He also sent a picture of the main road covered with a foot of sand.

Susan October 30, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Thanks for your “Sandy” concern. Here in a close-in DC suburb, all is well. Remarkably, there are not many limbs on the streets, power is on, streetlights working, mass transit going back up this afternoon. Early voting hours have been extended, and a day has been added. Wish I was there to drop off a casserole. You are in my thoughts.

Barbara Robarts October 30, 2012 at 9:39 AM

My thoughts and prayers are with your family as you go through this very difficult time. Hugs to all.

Cathy Myers October 30, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Lian and Dolan Family,

I’m so very sorry to hear about your Mom! Reading this brought tears to my eyes because I feel like I’ve gotten to know her and you all over the years. I’ve always thought your Mom was so fabulous – making sure you all had holiday decorations and sending you recipes from magazines! I just love all the stories about your wonderful childhood and admire your parents so much. Look what amazing children they raised and that’s not easy!

Thinking about you all and sending up prayers for your Mom and Dad. Praying they are not in pain and praying that they and you all are comforted during this difficult time. Wish I was in CA so could bring by some food or do something to help. How about sending some of our KY bourbon? Think that would make everyone feel better.

Hang in there Dolans and know so many Satellite Sisters are sending hugs and prayers!

Sincerely,
Cathy Myers
Louisville, KY

P.S. Lian, loved the homecoming pictures of your son. He’s so handsome and his date was adorable!

Barbara Miller October 30, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Thinking of your family and your mom! Day to day is always the best philosophy and not missing out on the moments like your son’s dance. Happy national candy day!

robin lanahan October 30, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Thanks for the update and my heart goes out to all the Dolans.

Kristin October 30, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Lian,
Your challenges with your mom have me wishing I lived closer. Would love to share my enchiladas, lasagna, or whatever those boys at your house can chow down on. My husband just returned from a weekend in Florida, working to convince his ailing parents that they may need a change of scenery (namely to assisted living). Clearly, their situation is not as critical as yours, but has had me thinking of you.

Continued T and P from MetroEast St Louis,
Kristin

Christina from MN October 30, 2012 at 8:31 AM

Thanks for the update Lian. Glad you all are hanging in there and that you have such a great support team. Continuing to send good thoughts and prayers to all the Dolan family…

Mari @Bookworm with a View October 30, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Thanks for the update! You are surviving day by day, take in the moments, try to find a moment of laughter when you can.

I hope your Dad is adjusting to Dallas.

We survived the hurricane, I just posted some photos to fb. We are the only ones with power (thanks to a generator) so will host a dinner celebration tonight. woohoo.

Halloween was cancelled last year for the blizzard, this year Sandy. Horrible for the kids!

You and you family conitinue in my prayers.