How I Spent my Spring Break: In the Hospital

by Lian on April 10, 2013

This spring break, I took an unexpected trip: to the hospital. Thanks to a small cut on my hand which developed  into a staph infection,  I made two trips to Urgent Care, spent eight stressful hours over two days in the ER and then was admitted to the hospital for 72 hours. (My first time ever being a sick person in a hospital.) Honestly, there were a few very, scary moments over the weekend and quite a bit of pain and anxiety. But today, I’m home- exhausted,  relieved, and recovering- thanks to  quick intervention,  massive amounts of IV antibiotics, my supportive husband , family and friends and the care of great doctors and nurses.

This week, I’ve been advised to lay low, rest and do my important follow-up care.  I am literally wiped out today. But I wanted to let you all know what was up and that I’ll be back at full strength soon.

Embracing my chaos, Lian

Marge April 14, 2013 at 8:58 AM

So sorry to hear about your spring break adventure!
Hope you are feeling better now! Seems like staph
infections are getting so much more prevalent lately!

Cheryl April 13, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Wow, I’m glad you’re better! Having spent a few days in hospitals I know how unpleasant it can be, and how grateful you feel to be home. Strangely, you are the second blogger I follow who ended up in the hospital in the last week. I hope you both are in the best of health soon.

Kim Burlingham April 13, 2013 at 5:31 AM

Holy cow, Lian! Staph infections are a pain in the, well, for you, the hand! I am glad you are healing and were discharged with ten fingers to recover fully at home with handsome nurse-aids at your beck and call.

Beth April 11, 2013 at 4:07 PM

OMG, Lian,

That must have been really scary. And OUCH.
Glad you are on the mend. Take it easy and use the opportunity to let others wait on you. Try to relax. Stress does not aid healing.

Beth

t3zoo April 11, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Oh Lian, I’m so sorry to hear it! The same thing happened to my mother a few years ago–also from a cut in her hand. Very scary stuff! I hope that you’re able to take it easy and get some rest. We’ll be thinking of you.

pat in o.c. April 11, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Many prayers for a complete recovery. Glad they caught it. Scary stuff.

Time for a Colin Firth marathon…..Pride & Prejudice-Palooza.

Susan April 11, 2013 at 5:42 AM

Oh my goodness, Lian…hope you are doing better…take care of yourself.

Debbie in PA April 10, 2013 at 8:34 PM

So sorry about your troubles! The chaos never seems to stop does it. Just when I thought you were going to get a break with college admittance out of the way. Just shows we all need to watch out for ourselves! Get back fully well soon!

Kathy in Atlanta April 10, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Lian, I am so glad you are on the mend. Have missed you; but really, really want you to take good care of you so you will feel like your old self.

Sue S from MN April 10, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Holy smokes!!! Please take care of yourself!! Hasn’t seemed to quite settle into a routine yet, huh?

kathie April 10, 2013 at 5:31 PM

You poor thing! Hope you are better soon! Can’t wait to hear a podcast all about it….no rush though!

Joan April 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I hope that you heal quickly.

Dana Pepper Bouton April 10, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Oh gosh Lian-I am so sorry. Those kind of infections can be very scary. Slow down and take care of yourself!

dpb

Cynthia April 10, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Holy Cow! I’m so sorry to hear this news and equally happy to know you are on the mend.

Bridget April 10, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Thanks for letting us know your situation. Boy you can not catch a break! Get well soon.

Krista Nash April 10, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Yikes! Glad all seems to be going better now. Your show is certainly aptly named.

Kristin April 10, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Dear husband had a similar experience a few years ago. SCARY. I hope you feel better; get some rest and feel the love of the ChaosCrew :)

Shannon April 10, 2013 at 12:59 PM

So sorry to hear about your hospitalization! My son was hospitalized for a staph infection for almost a month back in the fall…. crazy scary stuff when it isn’t under control. I wish you the best in recovery!
Shannon

Gwen Piña April 10, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Don’t forget to take those probiotics. Get well soon and rest up!

sandy asper April 10, 2013 at 12:38 PM

What a year you have had Lian….get well very soon…take it easy, watch hours and hours of tv until you can`t take it anymore..then watch some more….

Michelle Waite April 10, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I hope you feel better soon. I had an infection in 2008 and I had to shoot myself up with I’VE antibiotics at home. I remember sending a letter ti The Satellite Sisters asking the Lab Rats to investigate Greek yogurts, since one needs plenty of probiotics at such times. Monica and Sheila did a Greek yogurt lab rats. You might want to look it up. Especially if you have to rest a lot.
Take care,
Michelle

Karyn April 10, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Oh my goodness!! Take it easy and feel better soon!

marycatherine April 10, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Sounds really scary! Glad to hear that you are home and recovering. Sometimes our families can step up and surprise us! Your story is a good reminder not to take our everyday lives for granted.

gilles April 10, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Thank you for letting us know. I, and I’m sure everyone else, was worried.

Heal quickly.