Thoughts on the Boston Bombings

by Lian on April 17, 2013

I’m having a hard time finding any grand perspective on Monday’s bombings at the Boston Marathon. Maybe because the event was the most horrific intersection of things I love (big events, parades, races and  communities coming together)  with my worst fear: suddenly losing a family member. The more news I watch and read, the less sense i can make of this tragedy. So, instead, some Random Thoughts:

The Boston Marathon is a great event. I remember visiting my “Boston” cousins over Patriot’s Day and watching it as a kid. It’s an amazing sporting event and cultural happening. It will come back better than ever.

I hate that we now have “timeline’ for how these violent, tragic news stories evolve: the initial shocking news; the frantic reporting of few facts; the speculation of who did what; the initial details on the victims; and then the heartbreaking stories of the fatalities. All too familiar.

I am struck over and over again by the footage of the first responders and volunteers running towards the victims and then running, really running,  the injured to the ambulances. Though the initial moments were described as chaotic, but the video tells another story. It reveals a sense of focus and purpose.

That the victims are brothers, sister, girlfriends, moms, friends, dads , daughters and sons that were waiting to see a loved one finish the race just slays me. Those connections will  only deepen the sense of grief and pain for those involved.

The thousands of college kids in Boston will be forever connected to that city in an emotional way.

Ever since 9/11, I think about something like happening every time I go to the Rose Parade.

The investigation process is fascinating and daunting, but I get the feeling they will find who did this.  The hundreds of photos, the hours of videotape and details like the pressure cookers make me think they’ll get those responsible .

There are no words to describe the heartbreak of Martin Richard’s family. I get the sense we will hear similar stories for weeks,  the stories of multiple family members injured and lives changed forever.

That Krystal Cambell seemed like a really fun girl. As a former waitress at a steak house, I have a soft spot in my heart for anyone in that line of work. Poor mom and grandmother.

The new team over at CNN is doing an excellent job with low-key, informative coverage, especially Chris Cuomo. meanwhile, over at ABC, GMA’s Josh Elliot is unwatchable.

Amazing work by all the medical facilities in Boston. For some reason, listening to all the interviews with the docs, I’m reminded of all the emergency rooms in New York City that  never got to treat any patients.

I’ve been humming “Sweet Caroline” all morning.

Your thoughts?

Embracing my chaos, Lian

chris d. April 19, 2013 at 7:36 AM

hi Lian,

Your gardens must bring you so much joy… I love your easter bunny, and I thank you for sharing your home and gardens with us…

Berrick, indeed, is a good landscaper designer..I wish he could amend my condo where I have a”Whatever” garden.. its an experiment really and a battle against invasive species.

WI is hoping for spring, but this year its sooo cold, wet and delayed.. your pix were a sign of hope!! keep them coming…thank you!!

my thoughts and prayers are still coming your way and to all the sisters..

good entry and podcasts I really enjoy and do not often thank you sisters..
regards,
chris

carol w in IL April 18, 2013 at 7:55 PM

1. Why, God, why?
2. What is wrong with people?

pat in o.c. April 18, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Lots of prayers for the injured & deadly victims, the families, the responders, the city….there are no words. What a cowardly, evil thing to do. What amazing bravery and love comes out of it – instantly.

I find almost all the news unwatchable. The leaping to conclusions by pundits left & right, the blame game seconds after, the false leads, etc. Just report the facts people, let the news happen, don’t make it up.

Jeff Bauman and Carlos (the man in the cowboy hat), the photo of the poor man w/o his legs, the other holding his artery, giving instructions for Jeff to hold, tighten, hold tighten, keep doing that…as they rushed him in the wheelchair to the ambulance. He survived, despite having two legs blown off, and massive loss of blood. Who has the wherewithal to leap to help so fast, do the right procedure, while running to get more help in the process? Who has the mindset w/2 legs blown off to hold his own artery -so he would not die. Jeff and Carlos, I will always be in awe ….

We’re all praying for you Boston.

Urbangirl April 18, 2013 at 5:44 AM

Also watching CNN. So touched by the hundreds who cared for those in need on Monday. Especially loved the CNN story of Victoria and the guy named Tyler who assisted her. Hope she gets her wish to thank him in person. Final thought… I just don’t understand those who plot and plan and execute this evil. Especially when children are lost.

Megan April 17, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I too am having a hard time wrapping my brain around this. As an athletic trainer, my job is to take care of athletes at events large or small. All of which are public events in public venues. There were numerous athletic trainers in the medical tents on Monday and were the individuals that ran into harms way. I have entered road races and know first hand the joy and fun that is associated with them. And then there is the sporting event aspect. Sports are innocent.
Sports are universal, cross cultural. Maybe some clarity will come with the answer to why.

Sue in NJ April 17, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I have been trying not to watch too much news or read too many articles because it just gets harder and harder to think about why these horrific acts occur and how human beings can or want to conceive such vile plots. My grandchildren go to watch the Marathon every year with my daughter. How thankful I am that they were not near that finish line this year! How do you explain this to children in a way that won’t poison their love of participation and curiosity in the world around them?! The question is rhetorical, because I know there are experts who can guide us in these explanations; but how disgusting it is to me that we need this.

Kristin April 17, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I too am enjoying Chris Cuomo… At this very moment brought even Anderson Cooper back in focus.

Separately, as an athlete, mother runner and spouse of a loyal athlete, I am completely undone thinking about that little boy, hugging his dad in congratulations, then leaving this world. How many times have my own children done just that?

Every time I lace up my shoes, I will be inspired to do my best. I will live every moment with a bit more enthusiasm and levity. I will be a duck and let the little things simply roll off….I will embrace my chaos!

AnnieG April 17, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Totally agree with all your thoughts… and also, I find it especially disturbing that the bombs were apparently not meant to be lethal but instead meant to be as debilitating and focused on maiming the targets or hurting them so badly they might bleed to death. That seems almost, almost worse than trying to kill people. Just so cruel. And lastly, as I exercised today, I have never felt more grateful for my lower limbs – some of those photos will haunt me for a long time and I can’t get that one young man, both lower legs just gone, out of my mind.

Teresa S April 17, 2013 at 10:13 AM

- Patty Campbell’s statement to the press, well, what little statement she was able to make was through her grief was abosolutely heartbreaking. The mistaken identity of her daughter. All I could do was cry.

- The scar this will forever leave on public events.

- Hope that the coward or cowards who did this off themselves versus having to spend taxpayers’ for their care and feeding when caught. Harsh words, I know, but it is how I feel right now.

sandy April 17, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Here’s one thought I had today…otherwise I have no thoughts…just feelings…As these things progress which they will inevitably will, we will look for the “weird” people…the kid that wears the same jacket all the time and never talks, the person who lives next door who is nice but you never seem him much and he lives alone, the friendly kid who is too friendly…you know the strange ones that you think briefly about when you run into them….so what do we do now. Where do their weird rights end and ours begin….and is it going to be the end of freedom …yes, even freedom to be “weird”?

Also, cannot help but notice that all these things that have happened lately involve men…no women.

Dana Pepper Bouton April 17, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Unfortunately these events have happened all too frequently in Israel, while Americans thought we’d be immune to this kind of random and devastating violence.

Israelis have become quite expert at literally picking up the pieces of the dead and injured as the Ultra-Orthodox take the commandment seriously that every piece of Jewish flesh is given a proper burial. Israeli EMTs quickly rush to any scene and expertly assume the protocol of a war zone and stoically triage bomb victims. And then, soon after the explosions and destruction people move on with their daily lives, determined not to let the terrorists affect their desire to congregate and get together with friends and family, take the bus or even go to the market.

I’m afraid the trend in American society will evolve toward the same practice-administering emergency medical attention as if in a war zone which typically would be far away from our shores and defiantly thumb our noses at those evil people who wish to undermine and destroy our way of life.